My son has adhd and I refuse to put him on medication. Any tips to help without medication?

My son is 5 years old and has severe adhd. everyone keeps saying to put him on medication but I refuse to "drug" my son and make him into a zombie especially at this age! Does any have any tips on how to regulate this on my own?

mommy4boy2girl

Asked by mommy4boy2girl at 9:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• IF your son truly has ADHD, then the proper medication and dosing will NOT make him a zombie. BUT as his mother, this is your decision.

http://newideas.net/adhd/adhd-diet

^^^  Outlines a program.  But do remember if you severly restrict your son's diet, you need to alert your doctor.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I agree with the prior poster. My daughter is adhd ...the right meds don't make kids zombies. They actually help them concentrate. The only way you can avoid meds is a serious diet and strict on it too. And some real good councelor to teach methods to develop concentration. Which don't happen easy with adhd. ADHD is like someone having a remote control switching channels in the brain constantly. It's caused by a chemical embalance in the brain. The meds help a child be able to concentrate and control impulse behaviour.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 9:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I think you need to investigate the medicine,, it does not make them a zombie, but allows them to be able to function better,please moma rethink this and talk to your doctor,, he needs to be able to learn, and you need to help him,,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I, too, absolutely refused to medicate; childhood is not a disease that is in need of dangerous psychotropic medication.

I was able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis using a biomedical approach, which involved specialized diet and vitamin/mineral supplementation (I wrote about it in one of my journals here on CafeMom; check out my homepage).  I had the help of a DAN doctor but many moms can do the protocol on their own (in fact, I will be doing it on my own from this point forward as my doctor's practice is closing). If you are unfamiliar with the topic, check out the Biomed group here on CafeMom and/or read Dr. Bock's book Healing the New Childhood Epidemics - Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies.  There are many books out there on the topic but Bock's book is a great place to start.  Good luck!

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• GOOD for you. Have you tried cutting out everything artificial in his diet? Look for info on clean eating. Know what is in your food. Make sure he gets lots of activity. Karate and yoga can help huge in kids with adha. It helps them learn to focus their breathing, focus on their body movement etc. It's a struggle, bit you will never regret it. I cannot commend you enough for trying other avenues before choosing to medicate your child. You are doing the right thing 100%. Medication can have life long affects on the mind and body. Protect your child from that for as long as you can.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 9:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• BTW, don't fall for the "chemical imbalance in the brain" description of ADHD as Cenedra64 states ... this has NEVER been proven because it cannot be proven; there is no medical test or procedure to do so. It is simply a theory that has made it's way into the mainstream and been repeated so many times that most simply have come to believe it as fact. If you're interested, I can suggest some really good books and online videos re: ADHD as it pertains to the medicating of this supposed "disorder" and the "pseudoscience" behind it ... real eye openers. PM me if interested.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• my son is on meds and he dont act anything like a zombie. took the doctors a few times before they found the right meds..he is doing great
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• Coffee. Yep, add sweetener and milk and give it to him.
    In about 20 minutes you will see a calmer child more open to suggestion.
    Worked on my daughter like a charm, cold or hot she didn't care.
    The caffeine works opposite on the ADHD.

She was on Concerta during the school week & year, (didn't give it on weekends), it didn't make her a zombie, but the lack of appetite caused her to have low weight. That is with her, not sure how it affected other kids.
    EgoSumLamia

Answer by EgoSumLamia at 11:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• My son is ADD, non medicated. He was diagnosed at 10 medicated until 12 and is now 14.

We had about 2 years of behavior modification and focus more on that than diet. He has ADD so the list of restricted food items is too long for him to remember.

We use lists, never give him verbal list of more than 3 items, reward completion of lists with his primary focus item (books) and exercise the heck out of him.

Hope this helps.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• Here's a solution that's working for us that you might want to consider that was developed by a psychologist. It helps to retrain the brain with a combination of subliminal messaging and neuroliminal training. Check out the site and see if you think it would be helpful for you - it really is working out *very* well for us. You've probably heard of EEG/Biofeedback - this is just as effective but a whole lot cheaper. It's simply a CD that you play at night in your child's room so there are no appointments or doctor visits or anything.

Here's a link so you can learn more about it than I can explain here: http://www.drbate.com/
    Neminly

Answer by Neminly at 10:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2011