CIO

I don't want to let my 4 month old cry it out, but I've tried everything else to get him to learn to sleep in his crib and nothing is working. He's a very happy and calm baby and I'm afraid if I let him start to CIO at night he'll turn into a fussy, angry baby. Can this happen? How else can I get him to learn to sleep in his crib? Right now he either has to be in his swing or have a bottle to go to sleep and as soon as we move him he wakes up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry only used the cio method.
    my boys are the happiset boys.
    They are 17months and in toddler beds been there since 15 months.
    i tell them to go nightnight they climb into there beds and go to sleep.

gl
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• you know putting to bed with a bottle can mess his teeth up. the only way we got our son to sleep in his crib was to put blankets over the matress and then put the sheet on something about the matress he didnt like i know it sounds stupid. merry christmas
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Does he suck on his hands yet? My son is just about 4 months and about 3 weeks ago "found" his hands and now he sucks on them to soothe him at night.
    Anonymous

• its just a phase, remember that. I would not try the cio method. Try the book "The no cry sleep solution"
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Humans are one of the only animals that have the fear of being eaten. We have nothing to protect us when we are babies apart from our parents. Other animals have things to protect them e.g. some baby snakes are more poisonous to protect. So when you baby wakes or wont be in bed on their own its because they are scared of being eaten. Just because you know you are in a house and that he is protected doesnt mean he is.

Use a sling, or co-sleep.

Your baby is only 4 months old and needs you completely at the moment.
    Anonymous

• Your kids wont turn into crabby children if they CIO!

Its not like you let them sit there and cry for hours on end.

Give them 10-15 mins, sit by the door during that time. If they are still going then go to them, pat them and talk to them or sing to them(whatever you tend to do) and then give it another 10 mins or so.

It can help. Whoever told you they'd get crabby,etc is full of it to be honest.

I have 3 kids and I did that method with all of them and they are the easiest going kids you'd ever meet.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• So if I don't co-sleep my son will think he's going to be eaten?
    Anonymous

• I don't think its about the fear of being eaten... I never geard of thaty and honestly think its not true. but children to have the fear of loosing thier parents.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It worked for mine. I only let her cry for 15 minutes though and then I'd go comfort her WITHOUT picking her up... like playing with her hair and talking to her very calmly and softly and tell her shes just tired and she'll feel better if she sleeps, and read a book to her. She fought sleep... she'd be obviously tired and just wouldn't sleep and sometimes crying just pushed her to the point of giving in. Now I can lay her to bed when shes awake around her bed time and she just goes to sleep... no crying invovled. Try blinking Christmas lights to... she enjoys looking at them when she goes to bed and I just unplug them when she has fallen asleep.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 4:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008