I am feeding my four month old rice and first foods now and so then he doesnt drink as much, should I be giving him water or juice in between his feeds for fluids.

brwnigrl

Asked by brwnigrl at 6:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies should NEVER have water before 10 months! It can cause serious harm. Ask your doctor, they can have seizures and even die because their body does not know how to filter out the water like ours does. NEVER give water before 10 months.
    holykids

Answer by holykids at 6:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• The only thing he needs id breast milk or formula for the first year this is where they get their nutrition

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My little guy is 5 months old and we have started cereal and baby food also. As long as your little one is still having wet diapers he should be fine. I always try to give my little one about 3 oz of formula before I feed him food so that I know he is getting fluids. He only gets a cereal in the morning and then a veggie or fruit at night. Formula or breastmilk should still be their main source of nutrients. Like PP said do not give him water. Their little bodies do not know what to do with it yet.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 6:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• i know what i did we kinda did a dinner plan with my son in the morning when he woke up he had a bottle and then 30 min to an hour he had breakfast and then 4 hrs later the samething again my son when he was little never liked juice and our dr. said to offer him water and if he need it he would drink it. hope it helps.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• You don't want him to drink as much or as a result of feeding him he hasn't taken as much??

Anyway... always feed him formula or breastmilk FIRST then offer foods if he is still hungry. The only thing he sould drink is formula or breastmilk not water or juice until he is older.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• the water thing is a bunch of bs they give them water right after they are born before they give them milk to wash everthing down our dr. said offer them water and if they need it they will drink it.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I got this from Dr Sears

Breastfeeding babies do not need extra water, though formula-fed babies often do. Your breastmilk contains enough water for your baby, even in hot, dry climates. Formula contains higher concentrations of salts and minerals than breastmilk does, so that extra water is often necessary for the kidneys to excrete the extra salt. Also, because of less efficient metabolism, formula-fed infants lose more water. In breastfed babies, not only is extra water unnecessary, giving bottles of water to quench baby's thirst may also lessen the desire to breastfeed.

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• (Cont)
    This will interfere with the balance between mother's milk supply and baby's demand. Bottles of water are also likely to cause nipple confusion. A baby who is too warm or thirsty, but not hungry, can satisfy his need for more water by feeding more frequently and just enough to get the watery foremilk, but not necessarily the creamier hindmilk. Breastfeeding babies are great self-thirst-quenchers.
    abellvalerie

• If you're nursing, nurse baby first. Formula would also be first. Solids are an afterthought.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• You all can say what you want about water, but my friends baby just died because they did not believe it either. Why not be safe than sorry? They were hurting for money and they were using 8 oz water with only 3 scoops of formula to try to make it last longer and also giving him water after meals (rice cereal) and he died because of it. The dr's all said it's because babies bodies do not know how to filter water. Why would you risk it?
    holykids

Answer by holykids at 10:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008