Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is fair?

So my sons father DOESN'T want to deal with courts, and to be honest I dont either!
(Mainly because he doesnt have ANY custody at the moment and I like it that way)
But beyond that now it's time to talk about child support. He buys diapers here and there and some formula, but thats not enough. I live with my parents at the moment and also plan to move out asap! He is pretty well off so a couple hundren wont even hurt him. I want to know how much other moms get for child support and what is fair to ask of him. Or if I even have to be fair =]

Answer Question

Asked by xandersmama22 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • In the military, a mother with two children gets 1/2 base pay (at least in my situation, I am a SAHM)

    Answer by navy-wife at 6:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • How many kids?

    Answer by Babylove76 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • sit down figure out how much a month is diapers, formula *have you thought about wic*
    Diaper wipes and a lil of the bills...
    divide that to 4's or half...tell him this much this day this much that day...
    if he goes with it go!!!

    Answer by mama2twins07 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • just because you take him to court for cs doesnt mean you will lose rights they would just give him some rights too.

    Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • Thats the point, its makes me feel a lot safer when he has no rights.
    He wants to take my son out of the country (Armenia) We have a rocky rocky friendship.
    And we have 1 four month old son together.

    Answer by xandersmama22 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • And he is adamant about not going to court. I'm just wondering what figures I should throw out there.

    Answer by xandersmama22 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • 50-100 a month sounds fair to me and talk to a lawyer about courts and custody, you dont have to take it any further than that, but at least you would have some more knowledge about the situation
    i'm pretty sure you could set it up so that he cant take baby out of the country or even across state lines w/out your permission, but i'm not 100% positive

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • Well depends on his income and what state. I really think you two need to go to court and NO you don't need a lawyer. Things just need to be on paper so there are no problems later on down the road.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • If you are really worried about him taking your child out of the country that is MORE of a reason to do this through the courts.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • He doesn't want to do it in the courts b/c he KNOWS that once there is an order from the court - HE HAS TO FOLLOW it!! He wants to take your son out of the country?!? You need to get this in the courts immediately!! Right now he could take him out of the country and there wouldn't be a damn thing you could do to get your child back!! Be very careful, Mom and talk to an attorney. Family law attorneys WILL talk to you free of charge!

    Answer by Babylove76 at 5:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
I need help!

Next question overall (Money & Work)
How much is fair?