**Need some info on medicines that my boy is on**

My sons doctor recently put him on Focalin xr and Risperdal. The Focalin is for ADHD and the Risperdal is for concentration. Anybody ele have kids on these meds or have any info on these meds?????

Momof4Gr8Kids

Asked by Momof4Gr8Kids at 7:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My son and I are both on resperdal. It's not for concentration but is used for mood disorders and psychosis. Both my son and I are bipolar.

Resperdal will make you drowsy at first but that goes away in about a week.

My son was on Focalin for a while too but it didn't work well with him. I don't know much about it (the focalin was for his ADHD)
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Try webmd.com.
    And remember, YOU are your child's defender and protector. If you do not understand what the doctor is trying to tell you, ask again. Tell her that you don't understand, ask her to explain again. She knows you didn't go to med school, she won't think you are stupid. She will think you are a concerned parent who wants to know and understand the best options for her child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I dont think I explained fully,lol. I knew what she was saying and understood it.I was trying to find out if anyone elses kids are on these and what they are on them for.After some investigating,it turns out they are used for quite a few things.
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 1:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I fought all the doctors for years about putting him on meds. I dont like the fact that hes on them either. But he was to the point of failing in school because he wouldnt do his work and temper tantrums. But he acts better on them,is actually doing his work, and can carry on a conversation for the first time in his 7 years of life. No,I don't like drugs of any kind,but if they help my kid,then I'm damn sure gonna keep them on them until tey dont need them anymore. And btw,he is not zombied out like alot of kids end up being.He's still his normal,loveable self.Just more self controlled and can communicate better and for that I'm thankful!!!
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 6:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have autistic 6 year old twins who are on respirdal. It is prescribed to help them concentrate, and they are doing so much better on it.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental answers, they're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

::The CafeMom Admin Team
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My 9 year old son is on Focalin Xr , Focalin Not Xr and Risperdol for ADHD and Bi polar he get meds 2-3 times a day if i can help or need to know anything about the side affects or anything just ask i/ll try to help with what i know or have been throught . Don't really like him on meds but seems like they help a little hes on bearable with out them
    momoftwo199

Answer by momoftwo199 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't know about the meds your son is on but does it really takes 2 different kinds? My son has ADHD and is taking Methylphenidate, it has helped his concentration level. Do you have problems with mood swings from your son? Any suggestions on what I can try for these??
    luvmi2babies

Answer by luvmi2babies at 10:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes my son had bad mood swings.And terrible temper tantrums. Now hes still him,just minus the mood swings n etc.
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2009