When should a teen/tween start shaving her armpits and legs?

This is just something that has come up that I have wondered about and have been asking any other moms or even women who remember when things changed in their own youth. My daughter is about to turn 12 and as of the beginning of the summer she went from a bra being an option to having to have a bra. She has started caring more about how she looks though not always. She has grown hair under her arms and on her legs but she is blond so it does not show much. At what age should girls start shaving? She will start middle school in a month and I don't want her to get made fun of but I don't want to rush her either. What do you think?

morgaine816

Asked by morgaine816 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• When she starts being self conscious of it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• When she approaches you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• My mom's rule was when I grew underarm hair, I could begin to shave. I was about 12 as well.I also at that time began to care about my looks. My girls are still pretty little, but I will most likely follow the same rule with my own.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• 12 or 13
    justnfair

Answer by justnfair at 10:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• My dd is eleven & I let her start shaving her legs this year. Her underarms haven't really gotten that bad.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I was around 11, I started to get underarm hair and my leg hair was starting to bother me when I wore shorts. But I first started my legs with Nair because my mom didn't want my using a razor and cutting myself with it... Whenever she starts shaving her legs I would DEFINITELY go with a Venus razor... I've never cut my legs with them.

But I would go with when she wants to and is ready...everyones different so if you think shes ready then I'd get her a razor :)
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• ITA with amber1330
    mom2lilangels

Answer by mom2lilangels at 10:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I was in 5th grade when I started shaving. And I used an electric shaver for my legs, still prefer to unless I'm going out n need a really close shave. But considering her youth, is start with an electric one. My sister will be 14 in Sept and she prefers them to razors any day.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I started at nine. I had really hairy legs and got teased. My mom bought me a bunch of new shorts and I refused to wear them without shaving.
    Thebirdlady80

Answer by Thebirdlady80 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• the underarm hair I would have her start shaving when it starts to come in.. it's also when you REALLY want to discuss deodorant with them.. sometimes kids can't pick up their own odors but others will start to notice and you really want to make sure they aren't walking around smelling like sweaty underarms..
    as for leg hair, when it really starts to become noticable I think I'd recommend it, or when my dd asks me about it, whichever comes first really. At that point we can discuss waxing or shaving.. I went to cosmo, so know how to properly wax, so it's whatever she prefers.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2011