Scared of Tearing For the THIRD TIME! HELP?

My first child(7lbs.9oz.) was induced without pain meds and I had 4 stitches afterward,my second child(8lbs.8oz.) was induced also and I had an epidural(God love them),and needed 6 stitches. Now I'm having my third and I'd like to skip the induction,but am scared it could be a very big baby,just like they said my other 2 would be if I weren't induced.I'm VERY AFRAID that I'll tear again despite my efforts.(perineal message and slight stretching of vagina)Any advice from someone who knows where I'm coming from? Also,I'm 5'6"&weigh 145lbs.and Hubby is 6'1"and 250lbs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The only way I know of to not tear it to slow down the pushing... Not having a epi is easier to control the pushing. Your babies are average size. I wouldn't worry too much. I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'2" and our son was 8.4... I had 4 stitches for surface tears (but I didn't need them). Hope you get some good advice. :) GL
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Talk with the person doing the delivering about your fears, this may make them more alert to the tearing and the repairing. But there really shouldn't be a problem. Best wishes for a safe and as tear free as possible delivery!

Answer by Bmat at 8:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• There is nothing much you can do short of massage and speaking candidly with your OB about your concerns. I had a fourth-degree tear with my first and a third-degree tear with my second. I'd rather not tear again with this baby, but it's something I really can't control. Sorry--no real advice, but I feel your pain (literally!).
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• why dont you tell them that you dont want to tear and to be ready to do an episotomy? the recovery time is soooo much shorter than if you tear. the perenial masage is a new thing that isnt realy for sure going to work.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• OMG! Episiotomy?! NO WAY! The incision is deeper than what most tears would be and the recovery time is not at all quicker!At least I feel that it wouldn't be for me. I do appreciate your input,though.
    Thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• An episiotomy will not necessarily prevent a tear. I had an episiotomy and then went on to have a fourth-degree tear. However, I healed more quickly and easily with that birth than with the birth with no episiotomy and a third-degree tear.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2008