How do I get rid of these gnats?

It's attack of the gnats. Gnats Landing...Maybe they're fruit flies, but they're tiny. And they're everywhere! I've never ever had them this bad before. It's kind of scary...

ArtC

Asked by ArtC at 1:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Sticky fly strips win hands down for me. I hang one above the sink and maybe the garbage can too, in a few days, most, if not all are gone.
    Mommy2BnB

Answer by Mommy2BnB at 12:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• There is a chemical that you can spray all house plants with that will keep the gnats from living in them. You should also make sure all fruits and veggies are wrapped in something they can not get to them through. Hang some fly paper in the most problematic areas and wait. They'll be gone soon.
    QueenWeibchen

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If they're in your house and you have a garbage disposal they may be coming from that. The best way to get rid of them is to either pour a little bleach down the disposal, or pour boiling water down it.
    AirmansPrincess

Answer by AirmansPrincess at 4:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was told by a pest control person to pour boiling water down the drains for a few days in a row. That helped when we had the problem.
    tinak4

Answer by tinak4 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• apple cider vinegar. Put in a small bowl in the kitchen. the will go in to it and drown.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 5:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Set off a bug bomb in your house.
    lisafc

Answer by lisafc at 8:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If the bugs are around your plants, they are probably thriving on the moisture in the soil. There are several articles about this on the internet, but the short answer is to let your plant’s soil dry out (but not kill them). In the mean time, there are sticky strips of fly paper you can buy that will attract the bugs. This is a non-poisonous way to rid your house of the problem. It could take up to a month to be successful.
    KimfromColorado

Answer by KimfromColorado at 12:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Put down window sticky strips for flies which ever one has the most stuck to it in a 24 hour period will be the source of where they are coming from clean the area really really well inside window frame look for any thing that may have spilled. My mom had them really really bad and that is what the exterminater told us to do . Turned out they were in the window track in my bed room we cleaned all the leaves and junk out and that got rid of them. Good luck.
    jgl3g

Answer by jgl3g at 7:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The vinegar works like a charm. I would imagine they are coming in on your fruit. Do you keep your fruit on the kitchen counter? I find I get them if I have some bananas that overripe.
    Sarvin4

Answer by Sarvin4 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2008