Is this reasonable?

My ex separated 4 years ago and divorced two years ago. I haven't dated at all. I like being single and can see myself single the rest of my life. I am 48. Do you think I am weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• After my mama divorced, she never dated again. There were 7 of us, and she had been abused terribly. She did not have the time nor the energy to date, and even now that all of us are out of the house, she has never dated. I don't know if it's what people would call "normal", but I think it works for some people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• No ... my Mom has been single most of her life after she split from my Father. They split in the 1980's - she dated a co-worker for a brief time but it didn't work out that was around 1989. She has been single ever since and very happy. You are not weird and do no need a man to complete you. If you are happy and single than why change a good thing!! You don't need to deal with man drama - someday the right one may come along but just be happy - that's all that counts!! :o)
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• There isn't a requirement to date other people. My grandma didn't either. She was perfectly happy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• You don't need a man to make you happy! The only person who knows what is best for you is you...enjoy life and don't worry what anyone else thinks!
    blueeyes22

Answer by blueeyes22 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• Honestly I do not think that is weird. I am 41 years old and my marriage even though we are still in the same house is a sham. We just do not seem to have cause to be together as a couple. If I ever get out of this marriage I plan to be the same way. This is my second marriage and I have found myself wondering for a couple of years why I ever remarried. The only reasons I can say I am glad I did remarry is the fact I have 4 more wonderful kids to add to the two from my first marriage. I do not want another man I want to live my life making decisions without having to worry about what he is going to come home and say about it. I want to be my own person and I want some me time not excluding the kids I want them in my me time. And I am really fed up with having to answer to someone about my every move.

kim4kids923

Answer by kim4kids923 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• No. A lot of people, even at a young age, have no problems with being single. There's nothing wrong with that either. People's desire (almost to an obsessive level) to be with someone isn't necissarily natural. It's perfectly fine to not be in a relationship. Most people only do it because they think they should, because they think they have to. Even if that's on a subconscience level.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• not weird, a lot of people, especially as they get older, do the same thing.. it's ultimately up to you,, however if you meet someone special, don't turn them away, you may be happier choosing them than remaining alone.. (and I'm not saying to go out a just date, I mean if you happen to meet a guy that REALLY is something special to you, there is no harm if forming a friendship with them and if things should happen... then so be it)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• At only 36 I can see myself as you. I have not dated in years. And don't have the desiere or want too
    I'm not weird either
    Thanks to you & your post
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• actually i'm currently single right now, and have been for a year.. (my choice)... my ex and I split when I was 4 months pregnant with our second (again, my choice).... I exclusively breast feed, so dating is honestly not an option, sure I could have put her on formula, or pumped from the beginning so she'd take a bottle, but honestly I love EBF.. she's 7 months old, my oldest is 3, and I enjoy my time with them. When they are a little older, sure I'd love to date again, but right now my priorities lie with my kids :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• I'm 37 and single and I have always said that I wouldn't get married again, but never say never. I don't think you're weird at all!
    JanetR74

Answer by JanetR74 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2011