1 month old eating too much??

My 1 month old is drinking 6 ozs of breastmilk at each feeding. Is this normal?? He was 9lbs 3ozs when he was born, so I knew he would be eating more than normal, but this just seems like way too much. My friend has a 3 month old who is drinking the same. And he is eating between every 2 and 3 hours. What should I do?? Thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 8:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ummm for some babys yes my dd ate very lil and my bf baby was eating double what mine was and she is 2 months younger
    Anonymous

• Just feed him on demand. :) He may even be going through a growth spurt. Don't worry about counting ounces. Just let him eat as much as he likes. He'll let you know when he's full.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Just feed your child until they are content. I was too concerned about how much mine was eating and I caused her to not gain weight for an entire month. Her pedi gave me a good lecture, and now I feed her whenever she wants and whatever amount she wants. They will let you know when they have had enough. Don't worry your baby will be just fine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Babies don't overeat When they're full they stop eating. If your baby is that hungry then he's probably going through a growth spurt.

My daughter was breastfed (had trouble doing it with my son) and she nursed a lot! Breastmilk isn't as thick as formula and digests better. So the baby is hungry more often and tends to nurse more than a bottle fed baby. It's a good thing since breastmilk is so healthy.

I wouldn't worry about it. Feed on demand and until the baby is satiated.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son eats 9 oz every 2 to 3 hrs and 2 jars of food for lucnh and he will be 5 months christmas
    Anonymous

• Six ounces via bottle? That is a lot, and a baby can indeed overfeed at the bottle. At the breast, they don't.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I agree, it seems like a lot. And a baby CAN overeat at a bottle... my nephew is proof of that one! When my 5 month old takes a bottle he only takes 4 oz at a time and has since he was around 2 months.
    Unless you baby is only eating 4-5 times/day.... 24-30oz
    6 oz every 3 hours would be 48 ounces!
    Anonymous

• Info from Kellymom
    If your baby is taking substantially more than the average amounts, consider the possibility that baby is being given too much milk. Things that can contribute to overfeeding include:

Fast flow bottles. Always use the lowest flow bottle nipple that baby will tolerate.

Using bottle feeding as the primary way to comfort baby. Some well-meaning caregivers feed baby the bottle every time he makes a sound. If baby still seems to be hungry after giving 3-4 ounces first check to see whether baby will settle with walking, rocking, holding, etc. before offering another ounce or two.

Baby's need to suck. Babies have a very strong need to suck.you might consider encouraging baby to suck fingers or thumb, or consider using a pacifier to give baby something besides the bottle to satisfy his sucking needs.
    Anonymous