• In the Spotlight:

If my 15 month old won't eat dinner, should I go ahead and put him to bed or try to get him to eat something else?

I have a 15 month old that won't eat his dinner most nights.. but I feel so bad putting him to bed when he's barely eaten anything. On the other hand, I don't want to get into the habit of making him a separate meal every night because he won't eat what's for dinner.

iluvpink0701

Asked by iluvpink0701 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he doesn't eat don't worry about he will eat in the morning.
    Anonymous

• The first things kids learn to manipulate with is food. Don't give in to making a separate dinner for him. If he goes to bed hungry it won't hurt him. But he will learn to eat his dinner. Don't feel bad about this. It will take some tough parenting on your part, but you can do it. Good luck
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• my dd does this too,.and usally i just put her plate on the living roo table and go about my clean up and she eventally goes over and begins eating,..so basically i dont fix her another meal.but yea its okay.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I have a very picky eater and if it were up to him, he'd have a separate meal every night. I at least try to cook a variety of things, knowing that he'll like at least one or two of the things we're having. There have been some nights that he's only eaten one thing I've made (like corn) but it's a lot easier than fixing an extra meal everynight.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If my dd doesn't eat, she doesn't eat. I do make sure there is a good mix of foods (usually 3 - a meat, veggies or fruit, then a bread or pasta) that way I know it's not that she just doesn't like the food.
    Anonymous

• my kids are both like this---what we do is make dinner about 5:30 if they dont eat we leave it on the table for maybe an hour if they still dont eat it oh well--we give them a snack (some kind of fruit) around 7:00 and then to bed at 8. usually they will eat the snack or both and that way they arent going to bed hungry and 95% of the time they eat the snack and we only offer them fruit so its healthy! also i found with my kids if they arent hungry they wont eat--like if snack or lunch was too close to dinner-- my kids now eat lunch around 11:30 snack after nap(around 2) then nothing till 5:30 and by then they are hungry so they eat. also cut distractions--turn off tv especially if its a cartoon or favorite child show-- my kids love DORA and we used to let them watch while eating, not anymore!! they have to eat first then they can watch
    scooter3017

Answer by scooter3017 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My daughter is 23 months old and ohhh boy did she ever go through this,,, i just stopped offering a dessert after, while her brothers and sister had there dessert she had the choice to eat her dinner. They most likley wont eat all there meal but if they eat something it is a good start. If you give in and make them something separate you will have a big big big hassle when they get older. Teach your child now and the better they will be later.
    sheismyangel

Answer by sheismyangel at 11:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Put him to bed. I would suggest not getting him into the habit of getting you to make 2 dinners. He will eat what he is given or not at all IMO.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I agree with the other answers here. If you start a habit of making a seperate meal now it will only become an even bigger problem.

Put him to bed like normal and the next day he'll figure out that if he doesn't eat his dinner, he'll be sorry for it later!
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm in the same boat too! My daughter has never been a picky eater...she actually eats everything. Except this past month she's been testing me and I do feel bad not making her another meal. Her father wants to give in and give her goldfish or cheerios (a fav snack) But I said if she doesn't eat her dinner she certainly can't have those. But I do truly feel bad ...I am just trying to wait it out and hopefully one of these nights she'll give in and eat dinner!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008