Do you change your shopping schedule since having a child with autism? are stores a nightmare for your child too?

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 4:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2011 in Shopping

• Even before DD had an ASD diagnosis, shopping with her was a nightmare. She can't keep her hands off of things and likes to wander away and never wanted to leave. I tend to leave her with DH and go out shopping by myself.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• Wal-Mart is the WORST!! Could they make the lighting and echoing any worse!!?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• my daughter has to touch everything and she likes to go under things. i still end up taking her with me but now i have the baby it helps, i try to distract her from the noises
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• yes shopping can be a nightmare.even with DH and self, my son has multiple triggers for a meltdown and never sure where/when it will happen. We just deal with them as they come. I am already prepared for him to scream for 90 minutes on a flight to Fla b/c he will probably not be allowed to carry his comfort toy a plastic hanger. We are working with behavior specialists and such but nothing is working
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 11:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2011