Losing weight after having a baby...

Im due anyday now (hopefully) Iam 23years old and am 39w 5d with my first child and I used to be 5'7 160. I am now 5'7 208 :( I wanted to know from the people on this site if they have any diet/exercise tips on me trying to get myself physically fit again. I dream to work for FDNY as an EMT next year so being physically fit is a strong requirementto be hired.

are there different exercises I would have to do if I were todeliver vaginally vs if i had a c section?

TastyPeach6969

Asked by TastyPeach6969 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Not really as far as which delivery you have. Alot of women lose the weight naturally. Just a note. When I had my baby no one told me I would still be so swollen afterwards. Don't panic, you will be. It is just water weight and will go away eventually. Immediately after and as soon as you feel like it, get out and walk or run. You can even buy those strollers for fast walking and running.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I breastfed. I haven't changed anything about my diet and I've already lost 35lbs in 4 mos. I don't know if breastfeeding had anything to do with it, but from all the things I've read I'm sure it did. I don't excercise. I had a c-section and just started feeling comfortable about exercising again. I still get pain now and then.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Ditto on the breastfeeding! It sucks all that extra fat right off of you - as long as your eating healthy and not using it as an excuse to eat ice cream all day (like I did for the first few weeks. Haha). I haven't changed my diet or exercise regime much since baby was born, and I've lost over 50 of the 75 lbs I gained. I'm also planning on training for a 5k - using the Couch to 5k program - that will be in March. :) Hopefully that'll jump start me and help me get to a healthier weight. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 9:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed! My dd is 6 months old, and with no diet or exercise, in fact, just about the opposite of dieting or exercise, I've lost all of the 45 pounds I gained during pregnancy, plus a little. I exclusively breastfeed, on demand, she's never had formula. And I pump at work.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed! gained 43 pounds, and it was gone in two months, with very little exercise. I couldn't do any real exercise until 6 weeks anyways, because of my c-section.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• BF--I have lost all but 5 of 38 lbs. Idon't eat or exercise like I should, but it melts the fat away.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I didn't breastfeed and lost 10 lbs a week until I was back to pre-pregnancy weight. it just depends on your body. Yes breastfeeding generally helps your body recover better. Yes, you will probably lose it faster if you have a vaginal delivery b/c you will be more sore from the surgery and probably not as active as soon. Yes, your body will be the ultimate decision maker :)
    Anonymous

• ok - i am 5'6" and i was 150lbs when i found out i was pregnant the first time and when i delivered i was 210lbs (21 years old) -
    Tae Bo was my best friend! it helps get your tummy back into shape.
    Also i wore a stomach cincher (helps hold you in and gets your muscles back to where they are supposed to be)
    And the best thing to do is to eat SMALL portions every 2 to 3 hours when baby eats - helps speed up your metabolism. so like 1/2 cup of rice with 1 cup vegies and 2 oz of chicken, is a sample meal - you can also go for 1 cup granola, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup fruit. anything in small portions that has a fat, startch or grain, and either a vegie or a fruit.
    i was down to 135lbs by dd 1st bday! waaaay lower than i even started~!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2008