Are you one of the moms who do not have a special need child but feel strongly about getting a special needs section?

We are here to support each other and I think a special needs section would REALLY help out a lot of Mommy's! I hope you get your section ladies!!

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2011 in About CafeMom

• If Andrew Shue really started this website on the advice of his wife that moms needed help and advice from other moms, the Admin team should have no problem adding the SN category. JMHO
    But I stronly feel that Cafemom is old news for them ( and their 9 staff members) while they focus all their time and attention on new venues.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I am. I strongly feel these moms should have their own category.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• No, I am not one of those moms. HOWEVER, I do believe JUST BECAUSE THERE ISN'T A SPECIAL NEEDS SECTION DOES NOT STOP PEOPLE FROM TALKING/ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT SPECIAL NEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I don't get what all the upset is about.
    Anonymous

• No, I do not have a special needs child but I definitely support this section. I also do not think that CM should tell moms to take these questions to the kid's health section as they did with at least one mother---that is bogus. A child with special needs does not have a disease or an illness. And the mother who have special needs could use support and understanding from other moms who are going through the same things.

Valleylily

Answer by Valleylily at 6:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• @anon its the fact that these Mom's feel that their kids aren't more important then "crazy for credits" and "other games". It doesn't matter if CM thinks its important or not. what matters is these Mom's feel its important and this site is for Mom's.
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• valley, it isn't bogus. Health doesn't just mean illness or disease. It means ALL aspects of ones' health. Health is emotional, physical, psychological well being. People get too offended over technical terms.
    Anonymous

• Give them a special needs section!!!!!!!

I don't have a child with special needs, but I do work with teens with special needs and even within the broader framework of 'health' they have ... gasp, special needs, that impact every aspect of their health and well-being.

For example if an average 5 yo gets chicken pox, mom can deal with it X way. But if a 5 yo with autism or Downs Syndrome or ODD or well you get the picture, gets chicken pox, X probably won't work. Their mom might need to use X and/or Y and/or Z and/or Q or any of a combination of those.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• Good grief, we have a home buying section and a military section. Why not a special needs section if people really want one?
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• ABSOLUTELY!
    mausjustsayin

Answer by mausjustsayin at 11:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• i do have a child with special needs
    and i am stumped at times where to place the question
    it is not a health issue
    general parenting is nice
    but
    how many times can you explain what an IEP is, or have to define sensory processing disorder to the general public before asking your question, i ask a question mention she has autism and get answers that are great for kids without this issue, all well meaning answers but not an answer for a child with special needs
    also, i am in some groups on here BUT these groups do not have the traffic the Q and A does
    if religion can have two sections - why not one for special needs
    if the crazy for Credits women flloded the Q and A and got their own section, why not special needs kids

thank you for the support
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2011