what is jondice? sorry if spelled wrong

What is jondice I always hear about? And if it is so common why is it bad?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 9:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Jaundice in children is basically high levels if bilirubin in the system. It causes the skin to yellow and sometimes the whites of the eyes. Both of my kids had it. The liver breaks down the bilirubin but babies sometimes produce more then their bodies can handle. Left untreated it can lead to brain damage, cerbal palsy or deafness.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/common/jaundice.html

My daughter had it excessively because she was Rh- and I am Rh+.  From this she had high levels of bilirubin and we actually had to have her sit in what looked like a tanning bed when she slept.  The UV lights help break down the bilirubin.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Jaundice is a build of billirubin which is a wast product from the red blood cells in the body. The nb can't get rid of it very easily because their livers aren't quite up to par yet. If not taken care of proberly it can cause brain damage.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• when the baby is born..they have a yellowish tint to thier skin ... i dont think its that big of a deal doctors just put them in this thing with lights and it goes away
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Jaundice is a term used for when the skin has a yellowish color to it. It has something to do with the liver. In babies it is more common in boys than in girls (not sure why) and is something that usually goes away within a few days.

My son was born with jaundice and the doctor said to take him out in the sun for an couple of hours each day (not all at once though) so I believe that vitamin D is a nutrient which helps to rid the body of the problem.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 9:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• All great info above. Just to add to it. It is more common in breastfed babies b/c at first they get the colestrum (spelling??) which is high in nutrients but there isn't much of it. Formula feed babies get more formula right off which helps "flush'" the system and clear out some of those blood cells the body can't break down on it's own.
    Anonymous