Runny black stool

My mom worked with a guy who had the bug. He told her he was throwing up - didnt go into more detail than that. The next day - she was throwing up and had runny diarahea. She said it was like pee and she couldnt control it. She couldnt get to the bathroom in time once, and once she woke up in the middle of the night and there was a little - she hadnt even felt it. Today - the next day after she got it - she told me that it was black and that when my stepfather(they have divorced) was bleeding internally - his stool was black. She said she is going to give it another day to see if it gets better - she feels better than she did yesterday and this morning. What are your thoughts? Could it be something else? Or does the fact that it is black lead to only internal bleeding ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Health

• There's always a chance it could be something else, but intestinal bleeding is serious! She should go to the ER, or at least an Urgent Care first thing in the morning. Tell her not to take anti-diarrhea meds until she sees a doc. Diarrhea is the body's natural way of flushing out the virus or bacteria. Stopping this could cause kidney shut down, organ failure, etc. So many child food poisoning victims suffer kidney damage or die because well intentioned parents give them Immodium right away. I hope she gets better soon!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Black stool is often associated with intestinal bleeding. She could always call her doctor and ask them what they think over the phone. See if they think it's something serious, or something that can be watched over a couple of days to see if it goes away.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I HOPE its something else but yes, black stool is a definate sign of internal bleeding and she needs to get checked out...even if she is feeling better. She could bleed to death. Dont want to scare you but better safe than sorry:(
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2008