• In the Spotlight:

my baby is sick please help

My son is 6 months old..He has a severe diaper rash (i'm treating it and changing him almost every hour or so) he has had diarreha for almost 4 days and it's making his rash (which I'm thinking is a yeast infection) worse. He is extremely fussy. He will not sleep unless he is laying on my chest. and now he is losing intrest in food. His usual 4 bottles and 2-3 jars of baby food has went down to just 3 bottles today. What should I do? I called the doctor yesterday and they said to just monitor him. He's getting worse and I feel horrible for him!! please help any advice?? What could if be?

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 10:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He needs more fluids if he's got diarrhea like that...I would take him to the emergency room if you think dehydration is going to be a problem.
    zeebz

Answer by zeebz at 10:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My daughter had something very similar to this that the doctor said was caused by a virus that damaged the lining of her intestines. There really isn't a lot you can do but let it run it's course. At that time (about 7 years ago), Similac made a special rice formula that at least made her BM thicker so her bottom didn't get so sore. It helped a lot, but was kinda expensive. I'd also invest in some really good diaper cream-- ask the pharmacist what he/she reccommends. I'm sorry, I know this is rough! Hope this helped a little!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• His stool is extemely weird too...I know this is TMI but it's really watery and NEON green and it looks like almost black pepper is all in it......weird I know but that is the only way I could think to discribe it. is that normal??
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 10:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Aw poor baby. Diarrhea for that long may lead to dehydration. I think I'd take him to be seen. Since it is the weekend, is there an urgent care clinic that you can take him to? If not, does the pediatrician have an emergency number? Does the baby have a fever? You could explain that you are concerned about dehydration. If you are terribly worried, then if the ER is the only place available, I'd be tempted to take him, just for peace of mind at least and to see if they could help him. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 10:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• go to wal mart and buy the AnD ointment that is 40% zinc. most of the diaper rash creams only have 9-11 percent. the 40% zinc will help his rash within one night. it works better than the nystatin cream they will give at the doctor. keep a thick layer of vasalene on the rash to create a barrier against the moisture, ESPICIALLY on the overnight diapers.
    Steph_reynolds

Answer by Steph_reynolds at 10:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My kids have had that.Idk what it is tho.I have used darn near every over the counter diaper rash meds there is.The kind that finally worked had a weird name & WALMART does NOT carry it.I had to go to a pharmacy to find it. I asked specifically for a strong rash med. One thing that really helped was to let them spend time in the tub and then let their bottom air dry. Also,it doesnt matter if the dr said just monitor them,if I was worried they would go to a dr come hell or high water! And even if the dr cant do anything and just tells you the same thing,atleast you'll get some piece of mind. Keep us updated!
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 10:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• As far as the diarrhea- Lactose can make it worse, switch to a lactose free or soy and do half stregth... so twice as much water as scoops. That should hopefully slow it down and give him enough fluids... slowly move up to regular strength and then back to his normal formula when things get better.
    If he will eat his baby foods- Rice cereal, Applesauce and bannana's only... they will help bind things up a bit

For his rash- put on the diaper cream THICK! And don't try to get it all off each time... just get the poopys off and then slather on another really thick layer.
    During the day soak his bottom in an oatmeal bath and then put him on a bunch or towels and let it be open to air for a bit.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2008