I have tons of toys that are new but in opened boxes or packages. What should do with them?

I just cleaned out my autistic SS's room to make room for his new toys he will be getting for Christmas. Last Christmas he received several toys that we opened and he would not touch, even once. We have toys galore and toys for tots and other organizations will not take opened items even if they are new.

What can I do with them to help out needy families?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Holidays

• Research and make sure the families are realy needy. I did a lot of charity work and some people are lying, or scams! Take them to the special education classes at school and daycares,that will be the best bet,because those children could definatly use them for years to come. I did that,I just didn't call, just went in w/the items and told the director I'd like to donate them.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• How about thinking bigger than just one or two families? Like....If they don't have lots of small pieces, how about donating them to your child's pediatrician's waiting room? Or the local church or synagogue's "cry room" or preschool? If they are items for older children, how about donating them to your son's classroom for recess? Since they are new toys, how about donating them to your local children's hospital or rehab center? How about donating them to a local battered women's shelter? Many of the women that come in have children & have left their homes with nothing except the clothes on their backs. Even your local foodbank would probably take them at this time of year & hand them out to families who go there for food (either before or after the holidays).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• The PPs had a lot of good ideas...the only thing I can really add is going down to the department of human services and talking with whoever runs the foster care program. They need those donations all year long...not just at Christmas. I'm a foster mom and one of the first things kids who get taken into care do in our area is go with the social worker to pick out a couple outfits, a toy or two and a blanket to that is THEIRS to take with them to their new house...it is all done by donation.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I am certain there are moms on this site who would love them for their kids for Christmas. Ask about women in your area in need of toys for their kids.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Don't forget the homeless/domestic abuse shelters. These kids are in horrible situations and a new toy sometimes helps them through the process and helps them not focus on all the bad going on around them.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have 3 children with developmental delays. NAd I can tell you the Intermediat Unit in your area could use these as well as the Head Start and the Special needs classroom they are always hurting for new educational toys that will help the children to develop skills.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 11:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Hello!Please check out the site wishuponahero.com there are alot of needy families on there needing toys for christmas maybe you can find a few in your area to donate to.
    carebear2025

Answer by carebear2025 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Your local freecyle site is a good bet too, and they will come and pick up the items from you. Also if you area has a Ronald Mcdonald House, sometimes they need donations for their playrooms for patient siblings and etc.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 1:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2008