Does my 9 year old son have a problem or is it just a phase?

My 9 year old tells me that he's a germophobic. He says he doesn't like to eat food if he doesn't know who made the food. I do notice when we go to parties he doesn't like to eat, except dessert. He says the food at restaurants doesn't bother him, just at peoples houses who he doesn't know.

prettybaby1

Asked by prettybaby1 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's not really a problem... it's more because of the times we live in. I saw something on TV about restaurants and especially buffets, how everyone leans over them. I won't eat at them anymore either. I use hand sanitizer ALL the time. I wouldn't consider it a problem.... just being conscientious.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• i dont think its a problem proably just a phase .....if he's eatting dessert maybe he doesnt like whats being served and its his polite way of not eatting it.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• sounds like a phase, just don't feed into it and he will outgrow it.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• I have a 9 year old son as well. It's probably just a phase...try to help put his worries aside and enjoy life and it's good that he is cautious but not if it interferes with the fun of life!!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• I don't know that it is a significant problem since he will eat dessert & will eat at restaurants. It is probably just a phase. If he were truly a germaphobe he wouldn't be eating anything outside your home & probably not a lot in it.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• Sounds like it might be a phase, each of my boys went through a phase where they wouldn't eat meat of any kind.
    Although I have to admit I won't eat at buffet's because of the idea everyone touching the food and sneezing or coughing, basically germs.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• I don't think it's a problem. I'm also a little iffy about homemade foods if I don't know the people who made them. At a restaurant, you at least know the department of public health is keeping an eye on it. I would encourage him that he's unlikely to die of food poisoning in this day and age, and that the polite thing to do is to eat the food when you are at someone else's house.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2011

• Sounds like he just doesn't like the food served at your friend's house and doesn't want to tell you. Either that, or he just wants a legitimate excuse to just eat dessert.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 2:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Sounds like it's just a phase. If he's eating desserts, I really wouldn't worry too much just yet.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 12:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2011