At what age did your baby stand unassisted?

How old was your child when he/she stood without holding onto anyone or anything? And when did he/she walk?
I ask this because my daughter is 16 months old and not standing unassisted. Her dr. is concerned about this. She is always on her tippy toes when she stands. When she lets go she drops to the floor every time. She can walk if I am holding onto her hands and guiding her forward. But she seems to have no balance. Her dr. has 2 therapists coming to evalute her to see if there's a problem on Thurs.

*** I know all children do things at their own time - But just so everyone knows - My oldest DD was 7 months when she stood w out holding on. And 9 months when she started walking.****

BelloItaliano

Asked by BelloItaliano at 11:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think DD was 8 months when she did it the first time (fell after only a few seconds), she will be 10 months next week and she can stand for longer periods now (a few minutes, the most being 5 minutes). She obviously hasn't walked yet, she still needs to get a little bit better at the standing, but she does cruise and we bought one of those sing-a-long walkers for her that she loves.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• My Son was 7 1/2 months.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 11:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• Anywhere from 7 months to 2 years for my kids..It could be something wrong but I'm kind of old fashioned in the way I believe kids will do things on their own terms, not ours. Our doctor panicked because my daughter was almost three and hadn't started talking, so she wanted her to see a speech therapist (This is also the one child of mine who didn't walk until 2..) My grandmother was like no no, she will do it, just be patient. So sure enough a few months later she started talking and walking and now she won't shut up or sit still. I hope it's just that and nothing seriously wrong, I'll keep her in my prayers.
    Angelic-Renewal

Answer by Angelic-Renewal at 11:29 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• My little princess started standing at 10 1/2 mos and was walking 3 days before her first bday. She is now 14 mos and running!!! I love babies!!
    IzysMomma

Answer by IzysMomma at 11:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2011

• every child is diffrent i hope she starts cruising right along soon! my first son walked at an early age almost 10 months old and my other son didnt start walking until almost a year but they would both stand on their own at 8 months for a few seconds i had a friend whos child didnt walk till 20 months she was concerned too of course but it eventually happend good luck
    deannamarie1989

Answer by deannamarie1989 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2011

• When she walks (with you helping) is she also on her toes? That's a red flag.

I would be concerned also. From what I've read, children can take up to 18 months to walk. Anything after that is a concern. Since your daughter is 16 months and not standing alone, there's not a lot of assurance that she'll be walking at 18 months.

But she could be.......it's up to her to decide.

I would go ahead with the extra evaluations. Can't hurt, might help...
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 12:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2011

• ^^^^ Yes, she is still on her toes when I hold her hands and guide her to walk. VERY Rarely her feet are flat on the floor. Even then it's for a half a second then its right back on her toes again.
    BelloItaliano

Comment by BelloItaliano (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2011

• I would definitely push the specialists then. Toe-walking is not normal. Is she developing normally in every other area? How much is she talking?

Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 9:37 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• She started crawling around 11 months. Sat by herself around 7/8 months... Her words are : Daddy, Wow, Hi, Bye Bye, Mama, Papa, Mer Ma (her way of Grandma). But she didnt really start w her words till a few months ago. She is very alert and aware of her surroundings. And also very social. Loves attention from people. She can climb stairs and attempts to climb up on the couch... She also "walks" on her knees. When I hold her hands and guide her to walk her legs are very clumsy. Kind of crossing each other while she walks. Her legs are very strong. She can def knock the wind out of you when she kicks you in the stomach. Even her dr says they are. Which she thinks is another reason why its strange that she's not standing or walking already.
    BelloItaliano

Comment by BelloItaliano (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2011