is my child normal?

i have an 18 month old and he seems to be extremely aggressive. he hits he yells he throws things. ive told him no ive put him in time out nothing seems to be working. its driving me insane sometimes. i dont want to spank him but i wonder if i might one day have too nothing else is working. some one help plz.

supermom8907

Asked by supermom8907 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Definetely DO NOT spank and already agressive child. He is still a baby and timeouts will not be as effective right now. You must reinforce proper behavior everytime he hits. It's exhuasting and will take a lot of repitition. I strongly disagree with the previous person who posted. Seriously...why would anyone hit a baby!? That's just ignorant! Besides, you want to teach your child the proper way to react when your frusturated and you must lead by example. Hitting him will only teach him to HIT.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If you don't want a wild animal child, which no one likes, you must gain control now. Spanking is something that will get his attention and gain his respect. I suggest you do it now, or consequences won't be pretty for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You can not teach a child not to hit by hitting him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• What I would do is be consistant in my punishment no matter where you are. Or who you are with. Good Luck
    ericaanthony

Answer by ericaanthony at 1:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• At 18 months, he is NOT a baby...he is a toddler. He can learn with consistent discipline.

The key is not to just let him out of time out. There needs to be some consequence. At 18 months it's a little harder to come up with things...but it can be done.

When he's put in timeout, he sits there until he is "ready" to come out. Then...demonstrate he can be gentle. Hold him in your lap and with his hand in yours, SHOW him how to touch gently. SHOW him how to take his toy over to another spot and set it down. If he throws a toy, the entire process starts over. It's kind of like practicing proper behavior. And it's how they learn. And when he does it correctly...PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE!! lol

This is part of the behavior modification plan given by my son's (he's 4) psychologist. I've put the plan into motion for all three of my boys and it's working VERY well for the 2 year old.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2008