• In the Spotlight:

At what age does a child start to play with it?

The other night my child was in the shower and I had a feeling this was happening but I did not want to make a big thing out of it. He is 7yrs. old. I am not worried just curious at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes it is completely normal, my son started touching his self even younger than that. Don't make a big deal out of it, all boys do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Why do parents post these types of questions? Seriously, do you think your child is never going to "discover" himself? Get over it, Don't be so fascinated. I think it's very rude and perverted of you to ask this type of question. It's creepy that you would even post this.
    Anonymous

• self discovery is normal....everyone at some point in their lives find out they have private parts and it feels good when they are touched. All kids will do this at some point, my son was 5 years old. Just make sure they know its a private area of their body and no one touches it but them and their doctor. They also need to not be embarrassed or humiliated, just make sure they are doing it in private, their bedroom or bathroom. If you are truely concerned, talk to your pediatrition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think that anon 1233 is rude. If you are going to be a jerk, why do it anon?

I don't have boys, but this does sound very normal. Kids are exposed to so much so soon anymore. I wouldn't worry about it.

This board is for questions Moms have for other moms to give help, not rude remarks.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• um, my kid was grabbing it every time his diaper was off. there was a mandatory equipment inventory at every opportunity.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If by it you mean masterbating or private self touch...Honey, they do this even as toddlers. Rest assured no child is having a porno run through their head as they do this. Children touch their private areas for two reasons: comfort, it can be very self soothing and because it feels good. It is normal and natural and you were right not to make a big deal out of it. But at some point most parents do have to casually talk to their children about where is the proper place to do this self touch. I am comfortable enough to use the word masterbation and have even had the talk with several children your son's age about masterbation. I have some general rules about sexual behaviors for kids that I go over with them. Before anyone gets all in a wad - sexual as in masterbation not as in actually having sex or sexual thoughts. But they do need to know how to be polite as far as their body and self exploration.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• lol I remember when I first "caught" my son. He was about 4 1/2 and I walked in on him while he was using the bathroom. He started to make an excuse as to what was going on I just cut him off by saying "Excuse Me I should have knocked!" That lets him know he was in the proper to do that sort of thing then I just told him afterward that that is normal but to make sure that he is in the bathroom on those occasions that he wants to "Look" at it.

And to all you rude posters, Get a life! This woman has a legitimate question and for you to come down on her for wanting to know is just ridiculous.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Okay, I have a funny story. When my son was about 3, maybe 4 my husband walked by when he was playing with it. My son said, "Daddy, I love my peepee. Do you like your peepee?"

It's normal, no matter how uncomfortable it makes me. Don't worry about it. Just encourage him to do it in private.

littlespirit

Answer by littlespirit at 1:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It is a very healthy thing for children to "explore" their bodies. If you make it a big deal, they will feel ashamed and think the human body is "dirty". Leave him alone, he is a normal little boy. Love him for who he is. Good luck.
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• For the anonymous at 11:33 p.m. It is people like you that need to mind your own business if you don't like the question the way it is worded shut the hell up. skip it witch. I know all this I just want to know what other mom's have to say.

And for the one at 2:00 am. go to sleep it is way past your bed time, I did not want to use the word 'MASTURBATE' because I did not want to. "masterbate" now you are going to make fun of my spelling...get a life.

Thanks to all you ladies that answered in a mature matter.

Anonymous