Focalin XR

Does anyone have a child on Foculin XR 5mg.My daughter was been on Foculin XR 5mg on Thursday and just wanted to hear different opinions of it.So far she's doing OK,she was on Adderal XR and that was a awful scary experience.

ICanOnlyBeMeT

Asked by ICanOnlyBeMeT at 12:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• My youngest son is on it, and my oldest is on a higher dose of it. Meds were a last resort for me, and I am very happy with the results. They are both much calmer, not zombies, but calm. They can do school work and homework without a big battle. They can listen and follow directions, get along better with each other, me and other adults. This was the first and only med they have been on, and they will continue on it for as long as it works until I feel they are ready to be weaned off it and control their ADHD without meds.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Thanks for the response.So far she doing good on it.I felt uncomfortable about her being on meds especially after the aderall XR but I now I feel a little bit better.
    ICanOnlyBeMeT

Answer by ICanOnlyBeMeT at 10:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I wasn't comfortable with it, either, but mine were verging on being suspended from school and nothing else worked. Just be cautious not to get too high with the dosage, and keep talking to her and to her dr.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My 8 yr old son is on 10mg and my 11 yr old son is on 15mg. They both have some appetite loss when taking Focalin, but they eat well at supper so I'm ok with it. They are both gaining weight and are right where they should be on the growth charts. My youngest gets whiney/cranky when the meds are wearing off.

This is the best ADD/ADHD med that they have been on. It has the least side effects and doesn't make them into monsters. Grades are better and school behavior is great!
    Crazyhouse75

Answer by Crazyhouse75 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• my son has been on 20mg probley since middle of last school yr.it seems to be the only med. that he doesnt become immune within a few months. ive only found a few draw backs ive noticed that when it wears off he's seems to be worse. and it wears off by the time we have to do homework so now his doctor has him taking 5mg of addrall at 2pm. to make his meds last longer. it seems to have helped. also with the focolin you can take them off of it on the weekends adn in the summer when they dont need it.
    ellabo76

Answer by ellabo76 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My son was on Adderall XR at 1st. But after a while, he was having too many side effects. We then switched him to Focalin XR. He's been on it since September and is doing awesome. He got decent grades with the Adderall, but he's on the honor roll now, he's gaining weight like he should, sleeping better, etc... with the Focalin.
    jme9606

Answer by jme9606 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2008