I'm thinking of becoming a Mary Kay consultant. Is there anyone out there who sells? If you can give me any advice when starting out, that would be great! Is it difficult to do?

Any advice is welcome. Anyone use Mary Kay and what do you think of their line? Thanks. Have a great day!!!

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I love the skin care products. I have only been using them for a month but I see a difference in my skin. It is kind of expensive and I would probably not use the beauty products. The agent would like to meet with me regarding selling the line but I am unsure about that.
    cappyd

Answer by cappyd at 9:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I love Mary Kay and I used to be a consultant. I think it is a great company. You have to spend about a hundred on a starter kit. It's a good value. BUT...after that, realize that women will buy what they used at your "facial" appointment. Except for what you demo at your appointments, let your customers order from the book until you really need more stock. Satin Hands; one or two colors of lipstick and blush; mascara; foundations in the tones you do most often; eye cream (they used to call it eyesickles). When the women have done their makeup, it has been quick and easy and they like what they have on. Sometimes, they want the Satin Hands. Remember, if they order from the book, they can send back what they don't want and you can too. You won't lose money that way. PM me if you want to avoid the debt I incurred. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would still be in it, doing well.

manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I did MK for 5 years and lets be honest here. It cost more than that to get started and you have to have an inventory. I got out because of the pay structure. I got tired of making more money than anyone in my downline, and having to beg them to sell more so I could keep my quota. It serves a purpose for women with low self esteem it great for that. But if you want a serious business and want more than 30 dollar checks you have to look at other things. That is why I am with Market America. I have something for everyone, but I specialize in custom blend cosmetics. You get to keep your hard earned business volume that in MK you loose at the end of each month and start over. If you want info let me know.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 11:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I did Mary Kay for a very brief time. I myself love the product. But it is not for someone looking to make "easy money" not matter what they tell you and you do not work for yourself that is for sure! They push and push and guarantee 15 e-mails at least a week if not more form your director. If you are a go getter then go for it if you are looking at stay at home easy income then forget it. and the starter kit is just the beginning you end up spending more than you make on stock and to do parties you need more than what the starter kit gives you.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I love the products. Kind of expensive tho.. My mom sold it and it is a cut throat business! She quit before a year after another woman stole all her customers away.... I sell Avon and LOVE it! Theres no pressure and its easy to make money :)
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• in the beginning, it is a start up fee of 100.00---but some consulatants can earn that in their debut meeting....BUT if you do want inventory to have ON HAND it will cost you. I took out a loan to order 1400 wholesale because i was selling like crazy in the beginning, but then after the newness wore off--i was stuck with a closet full of make-up i could get rid of...made for great stocking stuffers........shesh-- it took forever to pay that loan off. BUT on the other hand, it was fun and i love the make up. I kept up my quota so that i could at least order fo rme 1/2 price....yah, can't beat that....
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Hi I am a Mary Kay Consultant. It is a simple business. For 45 years this company has stood the test of time. Belief barriers has been broken. I am one of them. There are proven success tracks at every level. When you follow the successful way of Mary Kay you will enjoy the journey. Come in and do it your way, oh well! The best advice i can give for a New Consultant 1. Do your Perfect Start or Power Start. You have the opportunity to earn $1500 in your 1st month not knowing what you are doing. It's ok. You earn as you learn.
    2. Learn how to render excellent customer service. When you are ready to earn the other awesome perks, you will have built a strong foundation to do so.

Love & Belief
    Portia
    Senior Sales Director
    www.marykay.com/pstatewright1

There is room at the top for you too!!
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 12:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I am not much for Mary Kay or Avon the companies are so saturated and there is a consultant on every corner. That is why I love Senegence it was free to join and still is. Plus I don't have to have inventory if I don't want. Plus I love the products so if you love Mary Kay then that should be it for you. As long as you love what you sell you will be a success.

Cass
    sexyjewelrychic

Answer by sexyjewelrychic at 10:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• I have been a Mary Kay consultant for almost 3 years and I LOVE it. I get the chance to make women feel important, teach them about skin care, and minister to people. Please know that there are a lot of people for whom Mary Kay does not work, because they do not work their businesses. I did start out with inventory, and very quickly sold through it and had to order more, and more, and more! I love my business. There are negative people out there who will steal your dreams, but if you do the business the way Mary Kay taught us, it DOES work. I have sent my family to Disney World 3x in the last 2 1/2 years, and I earned my car in 8 months. I work Monday night, Thursday night at my house, and Saturday morning. It adds up to about 12-15 hours per week. Not bad for a part time income. Check out my website under "Sell Mary Kay" and see what you think for yourself. It's not for everyone, but it is for some! Make up your own mind. Good luck! www.marykay.com/tracy.harris
    mkmomtracy

Answer by mkmomtracy at 10:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2008

• Listen to those beauty consultants who have stumbled, picked up themselves, never gave up, kept going and now very successful and living in their dreams! You never want to listen to someone who have failed, unsuccessful, never kept going but instead gave up! Learn from the successful people, put your 100% effort/time to whatever time you have to run your business and you will succeed. It's only hard if you mixed your personal life issues into your business!
    DesiRableMe

Answer by DesiRableMe at 12:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2008