HELP!! DOGS!

Help me! I live next door to an extremely inconsiderate dog owner. She lets her dogs run loose (even though we live in a leash law subdivision). Her dogs constantly poop in our backyard. In fact we barely get to go out there with our 2 year old to play- becuase there is always poop all over (and we don't even own a dog) or she lets them out and since tthey are two big- HUGE black labs they scare my son.

When she leaves on trips- she'll let them bark all day and all night. I have asked her to crate them or have the (pet sitters)put in her garage- she won't. She doesn't care. We live in Jacksonville, fl and I am trying to figure out what the laws are-- the police don't seem to care and say it is a civil matter???

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 12:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pets

• Start calling the animal control and complaining. Do it daily if you have to. They will end up fining her and if enough complaints are made and the violations can be proven, she will end up in court.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 12:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• SPCA
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If you live in a sub-division, you should check into any requirements or limitations that they have. Most of them have stipulations that apply to animals. In addition to calling animal control and/or the SPCA.
    Her behavior is not only inconsiderate, it's dangerous. Any dog can attack when provoked and her allowing her dogs to run around unleashed is just asking for trouble. I don't understand why people bother owning pets if they can't be responsible enough to care for them properly.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 10:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You can get this powder or spray that is a cat/dog repellant. We have a ton of cats in our city and I hate cats....it works great. Sprinkle or spray a line or barrier around where the dogs cross over to your lawn. I wouldn't let your kids play in the yard the same day you do it since it will be sitting on the grass until it moves down toward the soil.
    This might be a short term fix until you can figure something out with the neighbor....good luck
    Makieno

Answer by Makieno at 11:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Take pictures of them in your yard, and pictures of the way the yard looks afterwards. (Piles of poop, etc.) If necessary, show the date by putting a daily newspaper with the date clearly showing in the pic. Talk to other neighbors, have them with you when you complain to her, and give her copies of the pics. That way she cannot claim that she didn't know about the problem, and you have witnesses to prove it. Explain that you don't want to cause her unnecessary trouble, but she is impacting your quality of life in your own yard and there are leash laws in your town. Find out exactly who to complain to, and tell her you are going to/have made complains. Any powder or spray will be next to useless because by the time it's safe to let your son out there, it is also not going to work on the dogs. (And it doesn't work that well to start with, actually!)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would call animal control. We had this problem when to big dalmations used our front yard as a toilet. So we scooped up all the poop and put it right on the front porch of their house with a sign that says..."This belongs to you!" That did the trick for us. They would scoop up the poop everytime they would go. But try animal control first, I wouldnt do what we did right away.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 4:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• That cool vickwu.
    Anonymous

• i would sue her.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• In addition to all the suggestions above, I would contact your Homeowners Association. I'll bet there are rules about pets in the subdivision covenants and some HOA's have the power to fine homeowners for not following the rules. I would also contact the local Board of Health since pet feces is a health hazard.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008