Spinal/Csection Question

I had a csection with dd...but I had been given so many drugs..magnesium..pitocin..etc..I was out of it. I had to end up being put to sleep as the epidural did not work. Well, I don't remember the epidural or anything that happened in the OR. So, my question is, for those of you who have had a spinal/epidural does it hurt? HONESTLY, I just want to be preprared. Does the numbing shot hurt, does the actual procedure hurt....maybe to what extent?? I am going crazy about this and that may seem silly to a lot of you especially those planning natural childbirth etc. But, I want some honest opinions of the pain of this.....so please let me know!!

wynters_mom_08

Asked by wynters_mom_08 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• to me it didnt hurt it just made me cry but stuff like that does it to my family. the only problem i had was i still could feel everything they ended up giving me so many drugs i fell asleep and didnt come to for 2 hrs and was drugged for 4 hrs i didnt even get to hear my lil guys 1st dry or hold him for 4 hrs
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Well, I had two C-sections and I had an epidural with daughter #1 and a spinal with daughter #2. With #1 I was in so much pain, that I welcomed the epidural and didn't really feel that much pain. With #2 it was a preplanned C-section, so it was a little more painful, simply because I went from feeling no pain, being stripped and prepped for the section. I think it was just more scary and uncomfortable more than anything else.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The epidural hurt me and I didn't expect it to because so many people said it really doesn't hurt. My reaction was a big scream out loud and my leg jumped up. It felt like he was going to push all the way through my body. But it worked perfectly for me. I felt so much better immediately and made it through the rest of labor no problem.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 1:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• mom to be..... I was crying afterwards too. But i thought it was just the hormones and the dr. fussing at me for screaming out loud. But maybe it was from the epidural to. idk
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 1:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My epidural didn't hurt but it didn't take right.. they tried three times with my son before it finally took. Since it was my first time I didn't realize it wasn't working - I was just like "WOW if it hurts like this with pain medicine it must be awful without it" and my nurse informed me I shouldn't be in pain and discovered the thread wasn't in. I was induced which I've been told makes for harder contractions. My daughter it took twice and I ended up partially numb but not entirely. I have a very high pain threshold though - so pain is really up to the individuals perception. I've debated this time around since its failed before in taking right... good luck Momma!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• DEFINITELY not a silly question. I was one of those "natural child birth only" people who was TOTALLY emotionally unprepared for my emergency c-section. By then, I'd had an epidural, internal pressure monitor and a fetal scalp electrode put in, so I wasn't exactly having the experience I'd planned for! When they wheeled me in for the c-section, they upped the epidural, but I could still feel everything they did, but it was more pressure, not pain. They will make sure that you're not feeling pain before they cut, and they will ask you to tell them if you feel any pain. After the baby comes out, they really dope you up, and everything kind of gets fuzzy (plus, your whole focus is on the baby at that point, anyway). Try not to drive yourself crazy. At least you'll be mentally prepared, and know to some extent what to expect! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2008