• In the Spotlight:

Is it bad for a Christian to celebrate Hanukka?

My family and I are strong Christians. We have 5 children. Our older children ask a lot of questions about other religions and thier beliefs (my parents are mormon, so that usually starts a lot of it). Anyways, they were asking about Hanukka and the Jewish religion a few months back so we decided that we would also celebrate Hanukka this year so they could see what it was about as well. Is that bad? I dont want to offend anyone or anything, but I feel that my kids would love to see a new culture and way of life, if only for a little while.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 1:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I find it odd...... Im Catholic and i would find it strange to be mormon for a week thats just me though!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I THINK THAT IS AWESOME!
    i wouldn't even know where to begin myself though, do you have any jewish friends that could expalin the whole tradidion?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think it's great that you're exploring other faith systems with your family. How do you know what you truly believe if you don't ever learn what else is out there? Plus, I think it's a good idea to expose kids to different beliefs so they learn tolerance for others and that not everyone believes the same as you and that's ok.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I believe that it is great to expose children to other religions. But I think that you should present it in an educational sense only. Not to sound offensive at all, but unless you believe in something, I think that actually celebrating it is somewhat of a mockery.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 11:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think it's fine! My kids attend Catholic school and learned all about Hanukkah. Hanukkah is very biblical. It's stated and described in the first and second books of Maccabees. Now as a Catholic we have the books of Maccabees in our Old Testament, but Protestants removed those books from the bible during the Reformation so maybe some non-Catholic Christians might see a problem with it.

But Hanukkah celebrates the cleansing of the Temple after Gentiles defiled it. When the Maccabees retook Jerusalem and arrived at the temple, they found the light above the altar had only enough oil for a single day. Miraculously, it burned for eight, hence the length of the celebration. So remembering Hanukkah is remembering an actual event that occurred and I don't see how that is any conflict with the Christian faith.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think its your family and your decision. I think its great to expose your children to as much information that is out there so they are aware of what types of people and beliefs are out there.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think it's wonderful to teach your children about different religions and cultures. It'll make them better and accepting people. Good for you!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• its a celebration of God's miraculous powers, so why would it be bad to celebrate? i think if other Christians are giving you grief over it they may not know what Hannakah really is. im Christian & i plan on celebrating a lot of different culture's days (not just religious) with my kids when they get older. i think its great you are exposing your children to the other religions/cultures in such a positive way!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• no the bible says that there is one faith and one god. That would also be taking part in another religion would jesus do that? NO. Did god destroy people who did this? YES. It just would confuse your children. You should have meaning behind what you do. You should not be blinded to things that may look fun. If your children have questions answer them honestly. But you are not a strong christian if you are willing to say Jesus was not gods son. He died for us. I want to say ya sounds like fun! But the truth is god would never aprove. The fact that you are questioning this shows you know its not okay but you want peopl to tell you its okay so you dont feel bad about doing this. I know just as you its not at all okay.
    Anonymous