I know they have studies about SIDS all over and that babies should sleep on there backs?

so I follow that or do what is confortable for my daughter ?

AariyanaElene

Asked by AariyanaElene at 1:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never let ur baby sleep on there stomache until they can roll over on there on its okay to let them sleep on there stomache while on ur chest or as long as u r watching them but please never leave them unattened asleep on there stomache
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I am terrified of SIDS as I am sure you are too.

After going round and round with my OBGYN and asking tons of questions. Babies should sleep on their backs, preferably with an infant positioner to keep their head slightly elevated and to prevent them from rolling over. Also have a fan on in the room constantly, this has been proven to reduce SIDS by as much as 70%. And the fan does not have to be pointed towards baby.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I really believe in following that but I work in a daycare and some parents swear that their baby will not sleep like that. So sometimes i try to just lighting raise one side of their body with a blanket to tilt them to their side. not to much or they will turn over. but I put my baby on his back
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 1:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Do what is safe. She will learn to sleep on her back. A tight swaddle works wonders... a lot of time it's their arms that wake them up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have let my baby sleep on her stomach since day one. She wont sleep on her back. If you research SIDS you will learn that they have no clue what causes it and we are cautioned not to do a lot of things so you have to just use your best judgement.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I let all four of my girls sleep on their stomachs as soon as they could pick up their heads. They slept so much better that way. What you should follow is what your most comfortable with.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 2:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I follow what my child prefers..
    My second daughter has slept on her tummy since she was a couple weeks old.. Mind you- she's been rolling over since then.. Only sporadically then, but now at 2 months old, she rolls whenever she has the will (which also happens to be often)..

I think, though, that if you have to ask this question, that you probably shouldn't be taking the "risk"..

However, FWIW- the risk is more of suffocation than SIDS.. I guess many babies lack the instinct to move their heads if they can't breathe..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• While I know sleeping on their backs will reduce the chance of SIDS, my son refuses to sleep on his back. If that's the case, don't beat yourself up if your baby sleeps on her side or tummy. Just try to keep any blankets or stuffed animals out of the crib (or away from her if she sleeps with you guys). Also make sure her head is to the side, so that she can breathe okay. Part of the risk is that she will breathe the same air again and again, and that can lead to carbon dioxide poisoning.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• There's a lot of controversy around this subject. Not too long ago, they used to tell mothers that stomach sleeping reduced the risk! It's only fairly recently been changed.

Since they have done new tests though, I would place my child on his/her back to sleep. But if they roll over (even immediately) or just won't sleep on her back don't feel bad. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. We can't protect our child from absolutely everything especially something that has several relatively unknown causes. Just keep the bassinet or crib clear and they should be fine.

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 7:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• They also make this really neat thing...It came with my baby moniter, its a sensor pad that goes under the matress and will sound an alarm if it hasn't detected movement for 30 seconds. It's very sensitive so it can detect light breathing. That way if anything were to happen, you would be alerted and be able to call 911 if you had to, saving valuable time and potentially a life.
    madamekatekate