ultra sound

srry for all the questions but im a first time mommy
but do most poeple get a 36 week ultra sound to make sure everything is still going good and devoliping(sp?) good
srry im really bad a spelling

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nope, the only reason that you would get an ultrasound at 36 weeks is if there is a good reason for it. Like if the doctor thinks the baby may be big or little. Or if they are monitoring a possible complication.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• would having two preterm labor scares be a reason???
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Was it a scare or were you really in preterm labor and had to be given injections to stop it?

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If there is no cause for concern most doctors (and insurance companies) only want the one sonogram at 20ish weeks. I've had another here recently because I am borderline for preeclampsyia this pregnancy so I've got lots of extra monitoring to make sure the baby is doing alright. It's best to ask your doctor what his intentions are - every practice is a little different.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I am getting weekly ultrasounds because my baby girl only has a two vessel umbilical cord. (should be three) and if she stops growing or shows signs of distress then she needs to be delivered.

This is the reasoning for me...
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• yes i had to get a shot to stop it both times and i was only 28 weeks when it happend
    but the hospital did not tell my doc so he did not think i was telling the truth
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• That seems strange, your medical records should indicate any treatment you received at the hospital.

Anyway, since you have not had problems since, I can't imagine why an ultrasound would be ordered.

Sorry, sounds like you want one. Just think of it being a good thing :)

You don't want complications.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i do want one but not if it is needed
    my mom just said that everyone she new had one at 36 weeks and i was confused on y i aint had one set up yet
    expeshley with the whole pretrem labor thing
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Well, at 36 weeks you're not really at risk for "pre-term" labor anymore...so if the baby is healthy, and there's no reason to fear other complications (size of the baby, position, etc.) I wouldn't think they would do one...but, if you're really concerned, ask the doctor.
    leeceeann

Answer by leeceeann at 2:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2008