reference book?

I am wanting to have a closer relationship to god. I'm doing a bible study now, but I don't think i'm getting everything from it that I should. I just kind of jumped into a more serious study, and i'm still trying to find my footing (so to speak).
I am a christian, but not sure which denom. I am. Would a devotional bible be good, or is there something other that might be better? I feel like He is calling me to jump in, but I want to find my way there first. (does that make sence?) Any help would be great :-)
Thank you ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• when I studied the Bible I used a KJV along with a NWT and I looked things up in the encyclopeadia and Bible Concordence but now with internet you can research into the Greek meanings of words,

I like www.olivetree.com

Here is their Free on-line Bible word search, http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Are you looking for a specific study? Do you have any particular topics of interest? Get a Bible dictionary and a Strong's concordance. Have you tried studying with other Christians? This can be a great help.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I am currently doing a bible study 'Breaking Free' by Beth Moore.
    I'm looking more for something that I can read and really. . . .i guess 'sink my teeth into'.
    I'm not looking to take on another study at the moment. I guess i'm not sure what to call
    what i'm looking for. I think what it is , is i'm wanting something to read that I can learn
    to live in his word more. Get to know him more. How to open myself up more to him.
    Does that make sence?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• A friend of mine loves the Prayer of Jabez devotional book (hope I spelled that right).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• There have been some excellent suggestions for studying. I would however not use the NWT (New World Translation) that is the Jehovah's Witnesses bible.
    Anonymous

• Someone suggested finding a bible study group - see if there is a bible study fellowship in your area. It's interdenominational (not just one denomination). Here is there website so you can check to see if they have one in your area.
    http://www.bsfinternational.org
    It sounds like you haven't found a church home yet which might help. I would suggest a non-denominational church that teaches the Word of God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Jason David BeDuhn, Ph.D. wrote Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament  which generated controversy when his analysis led him to conclude that the New Testament translations of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (published by Jehovah's Witnesses) and the New American Bible (published by the American Catholic Church) were the most accurate and least biased. The translations examined in his book are: The King James Version, New Revised Standard Version, New International Version, New American Bible, New American Standard Bible, Amplified Bible, Living Bible, Today's English Version, and the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_BeDuhn

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It is very important to get plugged into your church home and it's ministry. If your ladies group study groups join one. Ask someone to study with you. Yes, a good study Bible is good. Another reason I say get plugged in at church is because, they might have a discipleship study for you. It is very important in our day and time to know what God's Word is.. Basic Bible Truths...Discipleship (knowing what you believe and WHY. But, again a good study Bible will be a good start. Your pastor should be able to suggest a good one for you.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• lisarose, I dare not take the word of one man's "study" as proof of truth. Most scholars agree that the NWT is VERY biased. Resaearch outside of the JW box. There are many things to be learned about JW history secularly. That's why I am no longer one of them.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 12:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have and did that why I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, if you went by what you claim are facts against them then if you had lived during the First Century you would have rejected the Apostles because they had Issues of imperfection in their day as well, arguing over whether the Jewish Widows should get more then the Gentile ones and if the Gentiles should follow the Law Code....
    See, we follow only the Bible not any Traditions of man...
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2008