What's up with the "left-side" thing?

It's been a long time since my last baby, and I keep hearing people talk about needing to sleep on my left side. I vaguely remember something about lying on a specific side with my other kids, but I was remembering it as the right side. It's a few weeks till my next Dr. appt., so I just thought I'd ask it here real quick.

leeceeann

Asked by leeceeann at 2:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It has to do with the way the aorta (artery that supplies blood to your whole body) and vena cava (the vein that returns that blood to your heart) lay. If you lay on your right side or especially your back, you could compress the blood supply to your lower body, including your uterus and thus, your baby.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It's supposed to be better circulation to sleep on the left side. I think there is a vein/vessel whatever that runs on the right side.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• All the above are correct...Laying on your left side is also better for placentia and its suppose to be better for the baby....its about blood flow and oxygen...thats my best answer..i'm no "doctor"
    cllnstrong

Answer by cllnstrong at 8:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I lay an whatever side I can sleep on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2008