How do I explain lying to my 2 1/2 yo?

My 2 1/2 yo has recently started telling little lies. If she does something she's not supposed to and I catch her, she says it was an accident. I've scolded her and put her in time out, but she always says, "Mommy, what did I do wrong?" I simply explained it that saying something was an accident when it's not is not telling the truth, but I don't think she gets it. Any suggestions?

EmisMommy

Asked by EmisMommy at 2:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• I detest lying espec. if young child does it. I think I figured out my niece lied about dog peeing cuz she didn't want to get in trouble for spilling water or peeing on floor herself as had been the case w/me sadly. So I caught on but believed her first, then when I figured out it was a lie, I would make simple statement indicating I know it was this (only if I knew it), or I need to know so I can fix it, and she found it easier to tell truth cuz she stopped and gratefully she doesn't lie at 4yo, I tell her parents how good it is that she doesn't seem to lie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Its hard @ that age.... U are doing the right thing though, try telling her stores that has to do with lieing and what happens if u lire... Like the boy who said wolf... it sounds stupid but kids do better with storeies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ask her if she knows what a lie means..see what she says, but ask her at a random time, not when you think she is. If she doesn't know say to her"ok you are a little boy named bernie" when she says no she isn't say yep mommy was telling a lie, or another really simple thing like that .Try lots of examples so she understands the difference between a silly story or as she calls them "accidents"(ask her what that means too), and not telling the truth. good luck , it is hard at that age sometimes.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Lie to her... tell her shes going to get a big yummy cookie after dinner then when she wants it tell her you lied.... she'll probably get upset and just explain to her that it wasn't very nice of you to lie to her like that and its not nice when she lies to you either... then give her the cookie and say sorry for lying to her!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 3:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• This isn't something I've had to deal with yet, but I might explain how awful it would be if someone called 911 when there wasn't an accident, and then after that if someone called 911 to another accident and they couldn't make it on time, say to a house fire, because of the "prank" call- lying by calling 911 when there wasn't an accident. Or explain to your child that if she lies and said she fed Fido when she didn't, the dog could go without food and be hungry.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008