When do moms use pacifiers?

I haven't used a pacifier with either of my kids, so I'm quite curious- when do you use them?
I hear a lot about babies spitting them out- do you ever consider that maybe baby doesn't want it?
Also, do you use them so that you don't have to feed your baby?
I'm just quite perplexed about this! I really just can't think of any reason a baby would need a pacifier!

Liyoness

Asked by Liyoness at 2:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never did, idk why either.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• you knwo wat im sure your child dont need alot of thigns but you give it to them anyways. most kids like it as comfort. my daughter used one till she was three. it dont harm her so y take it away
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 2:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I used pacifiers until my kids were 3 months old. I used it when they cried and it seemed to provide some sort of comfort for them. After 3 months it was gone though I didn't want them to get attached to it. They never really missed it! If I had another baby I probably wouldn't use one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Non-nutritive sucking provides pain relief and comfort for a baby. It can help them through colic, teething, etc. just like thumb-sucking. Some babies refuse it, some hang on to it until parents throw them away. Baby will normally refuse it if it's hungry or it's just plain not helping. There have been studies that show benefits like a decrease in inner ear infections with their use. There have also been negative charges like dental problems. It has it's pros and cons like anything else.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• That's great that your kids didn't use them. Everyone is different. I have several reasons. I personally use it because putting babies to bed with them helps prevent sids. I had a hard time getting my son to take it because I also breastfeed and he had latching problems. He started sucking his thumb instead...It's much easier to take away a pacifier than to take away their thumbs. He won't have it long because I don't agree with them walking with it hanging out of their mouths. Babies like to suck on things and a pacifier or their fingers helps soothe this need.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• cont My son spit them out when he didn't know how to suck but now he likes it and it keeps him from the thumb sucking habbit. Sometimes he will still spit it out and I do not force him to take it. I see if he wants it and if not I leave it at that. It does keep him quieter, but I do not use it in the place of feeding him. When a baby is hungry they will cry and no pacifier will stop that. Are you truely curious or is this another mother bashing post?
    britni11

• my son olny uses a cold one when he is teething... sometimes when he is going to bed but not alot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Babies like to suck. That's a fact. They aren't always hungry when they feel the need to suck, and some of us can't walk around with our babies attached to our boobs all day long, so a pacifier is practical. It comforts them. Just because they spit it out doesn't mean they don't want it. I've noticed my baby "spits" hers out then screams bloody murder until it's back in her mouth. While watching this process I've noticed that she isn't really spitting it out so much as sucking really hard and then it slips out. She isn't big enough to grab it and put it back herself yet, though. Good for you if you haven't had to use a pacifier. Are you a bf mom? If so, congrats on being able to walk around with your baby attached to you all day. If not, did your kids suck their thumbs, then? Mine won't suck her thumb, so we gave her a pacifier.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Babies are born with a natural sucking reflex. Pacifiers aid in that ability. Does that answer your question there Sparky? If not, lets start simple. Think of why dogs like bones. Okay, ya got that. Now lets think on why a baby would like a pacifier. Careful, ya don't want to hurt yourself thinking too hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I wondered the same thing: tho I wasn't against them. I BF and was told not to introduce for month, she didn't like it, so I thought she never would, and of course you aren't supposed to go beyond 6m w/one. Well then I realized she is sucking her fingers for fun or at bedtime, so thats when I use it, as a soother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2008