help!!

K here is the think my 8 year old got up this morning and sitting at the table eatting breakfast he just busted out cring... he seem to think he is "fat" he said to me mommy i don't like having "boobs" "i want to lose weight" and "i am ugly" i tried talking to him and assuring him that he is very handsome and not at all fat but all day i could tell it was on his mind. his dad my x hubby throws up every time he eats because he was over weight as a kid now he can't control it. changing my sons diet isnt an option lol he don't have a lot of junk and drinks plenty of water... he is also active i just don't want him to be so insecure????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you could get him an exercise video of some sort. Let him pick it out. They have these cool hip hop dance workouts now for kids. Let him know that he is control of his body and that if he wants to change it that he has to do it. Help him sort of an exercise schedule and have him follow it for 4 weeks. Then have him look at himself - inside and out. If he likes what he sees and how he feels you may have helped him take pride in himself. Be there for him because it sounds like he just needs some support right now. take the time (30 minutes a day) to work out with him.....if he wants to do that.
    dstoeck

Answer by dstoeck at 10:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• im sorry i cant even imagine my kid feeling that way. it must be coming from school. try talkign to his teacher and have her keep an eye out for that stuff. and i havent gone through anythignliek that but i would thingk you can just tell him everyday when he goes to and comes hoem from school that he is a very handsoem littel man
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 2:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think the only thing you can do is keep giving him words of encouragement, but I wouldn't focus on it too much because you don't want him to become obsessed with weight. My 7 year old thinks he looks fat in his winter jacket-I know this is my fault because I am always talking about weight. Watch what you say and do and just keep giving him words of encouragement. Also talk to your ex husband about it too! If this doesn't work maybe he should see a counselor. Best of luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would have to agree, kids that age don't just come out and think they are fat on there own, its not something they think about at that age, i would talk to his teacher and see if any kids are picking on him... just keep telling him that he isnt and is very handsome... Also my nephew was getting picked on because they say that he was fat but he wasnt at all he was very tall and big boned for his age and when we went shopping we had him try on cloth but we got a size bigger and then told him wow u must have lost weight cause these are to big... it seemed to help alot....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Our daughter (she's 7) had a definite potbelly (she was born with mega-something or other, it's a common form of gigantisism that isn't very extreme) but she's also nearly 5 feet tall and weighs 100 lbs. She wears size 10-12 ladies clothing (what I wouldn't GIVE to be a size 10 myself!). but other kids only notice her belly.
    We started buying different clothes for her, not the Hanna Montanah flirty stuff that every little girl has to have now. She dresses much like a small adult and every time she gets a new outfit we comment on how slim and grown up she looks.
    I'm a size 18 and wouldn't be caught dead in daisy duke shorts and a cropped t-shirt, so why in the world should a child who is insecure obout thier physical appearance. She loves looking so well put together!!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• oh, yeah, and we stress "healthy eating" as oppposed to dieting.. we have sweets but in moderation and she's learning portion control and how to follow the food pyramid. She keeps me on MY diet! :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2008