Is this normal for my baby?

My daughter is 6weeks old. She has gone from eating 21oz a day to the last couple of days its been more like 16-17oz! And yesterday on 131/2 oz! She doesnt seem sick? She is sleeping more thru the night now and yesterday evening she slept from 5pm -10pm when I finally woke her to eat. She's only eating 2oz at a time then falling asleep or just not wanting the bottle at all. Shes peeing like normal.. and pooping like normal which is every other day. Sooo... Whats up with her? Is she ok? Have any other moms gone thru this? Im afraid she's sick and gonna start losing weight.. She was also really cranky last night? Any clue ladies? Thanks In Advance!!

Adams-Momma

Asked by Adams-Momma at 3:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes babies generally lose weight before gaining.... my son went from eating 32 when he came home to eating 21 and now eats about 52 a day
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• She may have been having a growth spurt and just needs a little less now that she has "peaked"? If she is feeling ok, no fever, or anything I wouldn't worry unless she stops eating. The crankyness could be anything mama, maybe not even related to food at all. Just watch for signs of illness like vomiting, runny poops, fever,same stuff as grown ups. She sounds ok mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I know that when my baby has growth spurts, she eats a TON for a couple of days and then hardly eats nothing at all for the next couple of days. She also sleeps a lot more too. As long as she is peeing at least 1 time every 6 hours, I wouldn't worry about it.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• its very normal
    i am supprised your bby is eating that much and not spitting up.
    my lo was only eating liks 12oz in a 24 hour period at that age
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• bearsjen is probably right. when babies go through a growth spurt they eat alot. if she is coming out of one she will slow down a little on the bottles. You are looking at all the right things because the best way to tell about a babies nutrition is whats coming out in the diaper. If there has been no change then she is perfectly fine. Just remember we gauge what goes into baby by what comes out LOL.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• just go with your childs rhythm (as long as she's acting normal, happy, no fever etc) just flow with it. Babies don't (usually) have food issues, they eat when they are hungry and sleep when they are tired and they go through -- eat a lot, then eat little and sleep more peaks and valleys b/c of growth spurts -- mine are 5 and 3 and I still see those changes -- just not as pronounced but when my son starts eating like a teenager I start going through the packed clothes b/c I know he'll need some new pants soon.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2008