Is it a good idea to get a locked box for medications and supplements to keep kids out of them?

I worry no matter if the container are up in cupboards and if we all watch my son and if they are childproof caps. Do you use locked boxes to hide medications? What about batteries, do you store those up and away or hand sanitizer, toothpaste and such? I have a little one that likes to get into just about everything. We have baby proofing on cupboards and most things are non-toxic like cleaners and such.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is an awesome idea!thanks mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• yeah i do we have one that locks and goes under are sink.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It's a great idea you can never be to safe when it comes to meds. Infact I live in WA and in order to have foster children or run a day care ALL meds, vitamins and supplements have to be in a locked box and there is supposed to be one box for liquid and one for pills. You can't watch your child 24/7 and if they think it's candy and God forbid get into it some day you never know what could happen. I'm a firm believer of teaching kids to stay out of stuff...but this along with cleaning fluid are 2 things I wouldn't chance.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i think its a great idea i will do the same thing when my son starts cawling and stuff i would just make sure that if some one eles is watching them and they need to get into the box that they have a key if you put something in there that the kids need! ya kno
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I always just put mine up on top of the fridge or something, but I think if you want to do it, then go for it. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable. If it makes you feel better to know that it is locked up, then that's what you should do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Yes a lock box it is, I work In an emrgency room I can't tell you how many times I see children come in ... alarice@peoplepc.com
    Alarice

Answer by Alarice at 11:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• There are toothpastes at health food stores and stores that carry organic foods that do not contain Floride which is toxic to swollow. You can try that as well. If this were my child I would buy as much as I could non-toxic or organic versions of any medicines or care products. Yes, I would do a lock box in your case. Any type of box can servie as a medicine lock box. Many of the patients I worked with who had a lock box used a fishing tackle box with a combo lock on it. A smart idea really. Until he gets to a point where this is not a problem I would keep all medications there. Inconvienent yes but a good parent is one who considers safety first. So get a box with a lock and don't worry what others think.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It's a very good idea - now and when they are older. Many teens steal their parents prescription drugs and either take them or sell them. Get in the habit of locking medicines up now and keep it up for years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• we have a key locked closet for all of our bath goods, cleaners meds & supplements... We will always have one... especially since our oldest child has autism.

:-)
    YasminBoheme

Answer by YasminBoheme at 8:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think a lock box is a great idea. Especially for medications and Vitamins. I'm a pediatrics nurse and we have children that come in that have taken different medications... but the worse case I saw was a couple of sister that got into the childrens vitamins and ate the entire bottle between them!! So the things that taste really good are the worst... usually with the pills they only take one or two before they decide it tastes bad.
    I would for sure lock everything up to keep you child safe. (and keep poison control's number some place handy just incase)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2008