How old is too old for the tooth fairy?

Watching the local morning news, and they've announced that on average, children are receiving 40 cents less per tooth than they were a year ago - they went on to say that despite the tooth fairy paying less, she still visits 90% of children 12 and under.

I haven't done the tooth fairy with my 10 year old in at least 2 years. I just discreetly hand him a buck or two when his brother isn't around. His brother is 7 and still gets visits from the tooth fairy. IMO, once a child knows its you, there's no reason to keep up the charade.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I figure you do the tooth fairy for as long as your kid enjoys playing along. If they just roll their eyes at you when you mention it, you shut up about the tooth fairy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• It really DEPENDS on the family......My kids learned (because they figured it out) at 6-7 BEFORE they lost any teeth. The figured out that Santa was us, and seeing that was up...they figured out the tooth fairy must be us. Even though they know we still put the dollar under their pillow. I think we mainly do this because the gig was up before they even lost a tooth.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Yeah, I think once they know it's you it's over lol but until then have fun with it!
    morganonmic

Answer by morganonmic at 9:24 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I remember when I was too old for the tooth faery, I didn't get anything.
    The toot faery would leave a quarter under my pillow until I turned about 12.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Oh.. and in case you're wondering - they're saying the average amount left now by the tooth fairy is $2.60.
    Ginger0104

Comment by Ginger0104 (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I'm not convinced my 7 year old believes it's really the tooth fairy, but he's still willing to play the game without giving his doubt away.

My 10 year old knew for around 3-4 years that Santa was really me, but he knew Santa was responsible for the best gift under the tree and he wasn't willing to give that up til he was convinced I wouldn't stop with the cool stuff, lol. Now that he's older he enjoys helping me play Santa for his brother who still believes.
    Ginger0104

Comment by Ginger0104 (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Every child is different and family is different. I just go with the flow of how my daughter does. But she is only 5 and just lost her 2 bottom teeth and things the tooth fairy is awesome! I think kids should believe for as long as there heart tells them too!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 9:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• it depends on the tooth they lose around here if it is one of the regular teeth they get a dollar and if it the back teeth then it is $2.00 and I figure by the age of 12 is good enough
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Pretty sure that my 9-yr old has caught on ... but we still do it! :o)
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• ok, I kept forgetting to leave the money, so i said "hey! the tooth fairy told me to take you to the dollar store" the youngest was about 3 when my brain went on complete vacation, haha.

they all get stuff to celebrate the loss and think i am a raving loon but its become a family tradition that allows us to "wink,wink" keep the tooth fairy around.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2011