When did you take the pacifier away? Is there a certain time to do this that will be better?

5 month old. Pacifer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i took my daughters away when she was 8 months..she started having one at 2 months...i wouldnt let ANY child have one after 1 year..they get to attatched, and then the parents just let them keep having them because they dont wanna deal with a fussy baby waiting for the child to realize theyre not getting it anymore..so yaa no longer than a year...8-9 months is better tho :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• my son is 4 months, just started taking his at 3 months and I haven't decided when I will take his away yet...My mom has 5 kids and took all of ours away by 6 months and I will probably do the same.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• my oldest had his pacifier til he was about a year and half old. with this one, i'm going to do it differently. we didn't have any trouble getting Jaden off of it but there's no reason for it after so long. with Dexter, IF he has a pacifier, i plan on taking it away before he's a year old. my SIL's son will be three in march and he still has a pacifier.. and drinks from a bottle! it's crazy... IMO at least.

when we took away Jaden's paci, we just quit him cold-turkey like. i just stopped giving it to him. the first couple nights he didn't sleep very well but he was fine within a few days and never asked for it again! :)
    rethink911

Answer by rethink911 at 4:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The earlier the better.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i think that my son was 6 or 7 months. i agree the earlier the better
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• When I got my son off the pace I did it gentle. Whenever he would drop it, I would just put it in my pocket and give it back when he asked for it. There was no trauma he generally had given it up by 17 months (then the dr. adviced letting him more access to it b/c of his sis being born) and I did but he wasn't really into it. By 1 it was only for sleeping and the car but even then he would pretty much for get about it. I don't see the big deal until they are 2 or 3, the gentler and earlier you take it the better, but I wouldn't till 1 or so cause they are still getting teeth, and a paci is better than fingers any day of the year.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I took my sons away at 13 months or so by giving it to him only during nap time and at night than after a month of that I completely took it and gave him a stuffed monkey that is his comfort now.
    JustUsTwo

Answer by JustUsTwo at 8:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If either of my kids had been willing to take the paci, I would have waited until 12 months because it helps prevent SIDS.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I got lucky, my daughter never liked the pacifier, she never took it on. Doesn't suck thumb either. I don't know if it's because she's a breastfed baby and that's why. She'll knaw on her fingers because she is teething.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Pacifiers arent a bad thing research shows it prevents sids... But if i were going to take it away it would be around the age of 1!
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2008