Traveling/flying with my 6 months old son...

We are leaving in 2 weeks on a flight that has one connection...I was wondering if he will have problems with his ears popping or just what to expect with a baby who is still breastfed mostly and supplemented with rice cereal 3-4 times a day. I've been hearing horror stories about moms and babies kicked off planes because of a fussy crying unconsolable baby. lately my son's teeth have been bothering him, his two bottom are already poked through but I think more are coming because he's been really fussy at night, more than the usual. Does anyone have any advice they can give or just personal stories?

memphisnme

Asked by memphisnme at 4:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Travel

• I have flown with my daughter a lot, but she started flying at about 10 months, so she was a little older. I suggest for the ears that he nurses or if you're not comfortable with that you may want to express and bottle feed him during takeoffs and landings. That will help his ears to pop. Other than that, I think you should be good. My worst flight was my last one, where my daughter now nearly three, threw up all over! It was terrible. But other than that, she's always done well on flights. I would take baby oragel, teething rings, etc, whatever helps when he is teething. Good luck!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I agree with pp about feeding him during takeoffs and landings. Not only will it help his ears , a full belly and maybe he will snooze for you.Make sure to have some "comfy/lovey" things he likes and rotate them as his attention wains.You could also give him tylenol 20 mins before take-off, that sometimes made my ds sleepy and it will help with any teething issues. Safe flight!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The first time I flew with my daughter she was 6 months old. It was my first time doing anything alone with her, I flew home to see my family. I was on an AirTran flight. Make sure you nurse on takeoffs and landings to help equalize pressure. Anywhoo, a flight attendant asked me to cover up. I refused, and she moved EVERYONE around me to first class. I WAS SO PISSED. I threw a fit and ended up filing a lawsuite and they setteled out of court. I have free AirTran tickets now, 12 per year. Dont' let anyone tell you you need to express and feed a bottle. Thats just a waste of time and ridiculous. If anyone gives you crap, tell them where to stick it.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I flew with my son ALOT between when he was born and 1 year (18 flights total). Feeding them on the way up or down works if you use a binky that usually works too because it makes them swallow (give it a little tug if he's asleep and he will suck on it again). If you are giving him juice yet, that usually got my son to take a sip of SOMETHING if everything else failed because he liked the taste of it.
    If you are traveling by yourself with him you can usually ask at the gate counter if there are any emtpy seats if they will seat you next to them. I have done this numerous times and although they pack the flights now days I have usually been accomodated. Another trick (and I know this may be wrong BUT....) if all else fails tylenol always helped my son sleep like a champ...espcially with teeth....  Best of luck to you!!!
    alexsmom713

Answer by alexsmom713 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I dosed my kids up with Benadry so they would sleep and not disturb other passengers. People pay alot of money to fly.
    but children younger than 8 should not be allowed to travel by airline.
    Anonymous

• If the flight is longer than 1 hr we normally take our kids to the doctors for an ear check about a week before hand. We also always travel with tylenol and gas drops, orajel etc.
    If your connecting flights are close together breast feeding on landing and subsequent take off may be too close together..... our oldest spat up a lot and we had a bit of a mess on our second flight.

Ignore the actions of the rude travellers around you who may glare when they see you are getting on the plane with a baby. Be calm and relaxed and do the best job you can. You wouldn't let your baby scream for an hour at home so don't do it on the plane.

Our son had been on over 30 flights by the time he was 2 including 15 hr flights to Australia.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• To the anonymous poster above; I am quite sure that everyone wishes they could ban someonce from travelling by air. A lot of parents pay good money for their children to fly and should be allowed to get on a plane without being scorned at.

Drunks and loud business people on cell phones are treated nicer than parents travelling with young children.

At the end of our 15 hr flights we normally have older people coming up to us and praising us on our childrens behaviour and the effort we made to make sure they were not bored and had food they liked etc.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2008