has any one used a green dot card?

I have been putting money on a green dot card to pay my bills on line, just recently they froze my account, due to excessive use, they said, even though there are not stipulations in the card holders agreement. The problem is they froze 1400.00! and wont release it. Ive been told by others that is a normal practice of this company. They freeze it at it maximum, wont release it, close the card, refuse to talk to you after that & you loose your money. How can they continue to get away with that...wal-mart indorses it as well!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• We used Greendot cards for years when hubby drove OTR so I could transfer money to him instantly (hubby does not do well with out checking account). This never happened to us, and I have never heard of it. That doesn't even sound legal to me. They might have the right to terminate your account without reason, but to keep your money? Do you still have your reciept where you loaded the card? If so, I would demand a refund of your money from Greendot, with the threat of legal action if necessary. Go over your contract with a fine tooth comb as well, and look for any fine print about "overuse" and account closure.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• yeah this happened to me... we had almost $2000 on it and they froze it... we got it back after 6 months of court
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I use it and have never had a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• OMG!! Scary! Thanks for letting me know this is going on!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• How did you get the money on there? Did you do it online from your bank account? If you did, you can call your bank and tell them its fraud and they will take the money from them. If you gave Wal-Mart cash, sorry you are out of luck. They'll probably keep the money knowing you are unable to take the to court.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008