Cats and toilet paper

Any tips for keeping my cat from scratching at the TP roll? The litter box is in the bathroom (it will stay there), so there isn't the option of closing the door. We've tried keeping the TP off the roll, but she knocks the roll onto the floor and tears it up. We've thought about one of those childproof things, but we've also heard that cats (and kids) figure out how to lift the thing and play with the TP. Any suggestions?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 6:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pets

• I never had this issue! It sounds Cute unless its you! Now Watch After I say this someone will go do this! I guess the drawer is a Good Idea! If you cant' stop it by reasoning...?? Are there any kind of TP holders that Close perhaps?? Sounds Like A Smart Cat!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have a drawer right beside my toilet under the sink where the TP stays. We just open the drawer and get it. Put it back in. Viola! Problem solved. Unless you don't have a drawer....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If the problem is unrolling, try squashing the roll so that it is no longer round, it will slow down or stop unrolling. If the problem is scratching, all I can think is to hide or cover the roll. Can you put a large piece of foil over it that you can lift off? Can you put it in a container that the cat can't open?

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• We don't have a drawer to stick the TP in, or anything convenient for that. Even when the roll is squished, she gets it all over the place. She unrolls and scratches, depending on her mood, I guess.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Get her something else to play with, a catnip mouse or something. She's playing with the TP because it's fun, she's bored, and it gets a lot of attention from you. Do you have a cabinet under the sink where you could put the paper?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It would be really awkward to put the TP in the cabinet. She has THOUSANDS of toys all over the house, and she gets into everything, but the TP is the worst one. It's a kitten thing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• cat door on the bathroom maybe?
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 9:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008