33 weeks and 1cm dilated

I went for my check-up last Wednesday, and my doctor decided to do a pelvic exam since I had been having a lot of contractions. I was dilated to 1 cm. My 2-year old had also head-butted my belly and I was cramping, so I had to stay the night in the hospital. My OB doesn't think that the dilating was caused by him hitting me, but she also said it's not completely normal to be dilating this early. I am now 34 weeks and go back Thursday for another check-up. Not sure if this OB (mine is out of town this week :( ) will check for dilation.. Anyone else experience this? Did you deliver early? They said his lungs looked good on the US and they gave me 2 of those steroid shots to help them mature a little quicker, so if he does come soon I'm not too awfully worried about it.. He's already engaged in my pelvis, so I'm really uncomfortable and I feel like he's about to fall out. So, really if he wants to come early I'm fine with it LOL

peekaboo90

Asked by peekaboo90 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was 1 cm dilated at 34 weeks with my first one. But if you are concerned about it..which I can understand why you would be I would just express this to the doctor you are going to see so that he or she knows you are concerned and can check for you.
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• This is my second. I didn't start dilating with my first until 37 weeks, and I had to be induced with him because I was 6 cm at my 39 week check-up and was not having contractions of any kind. So, my OB thought it would be safer to induce me than risk me having the baby en route to the hospital since me and DH lived an hour away at the time. My OB said it could be because it hasn't been that long since I was pregnant with my first DS (he was 15 months when I got pregnant this time). I plan on asking this doctor to check because I have had more contractions..they're not regular or anything, but I feel like I have dilated more since the pressure I have been feeling has increased a LOT.
    peekaboo90

Comment by peekaboo90 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I was 3 cm dialated at 34 weeks- had my son at 39 weeks.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• it is completely normal and expected a woman that has delivered before to dilate earlier than normal. Dilation is not an indication of labor, and 1 cm dilated is hardly any progress at all. I was dilated to 2 cms at 32 weeks, and 4 cms with my third baby at 34 weeks. Didn't deliver til 38 weeks, 3 days.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Forgot to mention -- I would relax as much as possible. Try laying on the couch or in bed as much as you can and stay well hydrated. Those steroid shots are not a guarantee of any sort, so you should be worried about your baby coming early. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• you could stay at 1cm for a LONG time
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:36 AM on Aug. 2, 2011