Would you take public assistance if it meant you could stay home with your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• No I dont think so. Public assistance doesnt give you alot of money and I would think most people would opt to have a job so they could give their kids more then a mom at home. Not to mention the ethics you are teaching your child by choosing not to work and live off the govt would be wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Yes. Money is tight but because of my children's disabilities I need to be home. I would accept any help I can get (though my husband makes too much for us to get help).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Um Im sorry to tell you this but you cant just get on assistance to stay at home. Unless you have a situation like the PP the state expects you to work. I am at home at the moment and the only thing the state will give me is medical until I go back to work or do a work program for them which is to basically to go volunteer for a monthly check. No thanks I will be enrolling my daughter in daycare once she is born so that we can have what we want instead of just what we need.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The taxpayers money is not there for you to OPT not to work. If you were disabled or had a disabled child then get what you need. Otherwise stay at your job because the government assistance is there to help families who are already doing everything they can and still cant make it on their own. And besides that like the PP said the government WILL NOT pay you to sit around and be a "stay at home mom"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'd rather work. I love my kids but the drive to and from the office is the ONLY me time I get :-) Besides, I like my house, wanna keep paying that mortgage..
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Well, there are a lot of people getting it illegally and that just gauls my hiney to have to pay for it with my taxes. If there was a good reason that you HAD to stay at home, thats different. Just because you want to isn't good enough reason IMO.I had to /have to work to make things better. If I can do it, so can you and anybody else out there that has the drive to make a better life for their child.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Going on public assistance just so you can stay home is wrong. That's not what it's there for. That's abuse of the system, of which there is too much already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No. I'd rather teach my kids not to mooch off the system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ummm....no. There are people, as one poster stated ,with children with disabilities who have to stay home and need that assistance. I wouldn't dream of taking money that some people really need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Depends on whether its cheaper to stay home or work because of childcare. My hubby works full time and i stay home and we get help. We couldnt afford for me to work with 4 children. As long as one spouse is working 30 hours or more you can get help. Just because you take the money doesnt mean that a person with disabilites is not. And no matter what all the money you use, you will eventually pay back when you return to work.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2008