What age can kids start properly bathing themselves?

My son is six and can run his own water just fine and gets pretty clean as far as I can tell. He never smells or anything. He does however have trouble with getting the soap out of his hair. Is this a sign that I should be bathing him still or do I just need to check him every time to make sure he rinsed it well enough? He is to the age where he doesnt really like me seeing him naked and I dont want to impose and make him uncomfortable.

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 9:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he can handle everything else, I would pop into the bathroom and remind him to rinse his hair again. You are lucky! My daughter wont even take a shower without screaming and crying. Bath time for her probably till she is 30 lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I just check after my 7 year old gets out of the tub. I have only had to send her back in once in the last 6 mos to re rinse her hair. She has been trying since right around 6 years old.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• We do the rinsing still for our six-year old DD - she has very long hair and that seems to help.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Mine just call me when they are ready to get out. I step in, take a quick look and if they need another rinse, I tell them to do it, if they don't, I tell them to get out. My 7 yr old rarely needs another rinse, only if he's rushing b/c he wants to watch a cartoon or play a game or something.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My three and five year olds shower by themselves (together), and I stopped having to check the 5 year old six months ago. The 3 1/2 I still have to remind her to do her legs and the back of her neck.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My 3 older kids have been bathing on their own for at least a year now. They are 8, 7 and 6. I just check their hair to make sure they actually washed it and that it is rinsed well enough (mostly for the two girls). Every other week I use my daily clarifying shampoo on them to get their hair squeaky clean because I don't think their kiddie shampoo does a good enough job. They do everything else on their own and can even draw their own bath water.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My 6 yr old son can take his own shower and bath, but I run the water for him. I do help him with rinsing out the shampoo. And, he calls me if he needs help. He wants to be independent and doesn't want me to see him naked!
    MomW773

Answer by MomW773 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Gosh, thanks for asking this question! Sometimes I almost feel bad that I let my son shower and no longer stand over him anymore. But, he has been taking him own shower for a couple of years now and does a pretty good job. There are times when I can tell that he's just been standing in the shower and I go in there and stand over him and make sure he does everything he's supposed to. He gets embarassed I think. He's 8 and there are still times when I have to make him rerinse his hair, but it is nice that he can take care of these things himself!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 4:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ours is five and a half and we just started teaching him to fully bathe himself. It has been about 2 weeks and I was going to watch him for awhile longer to make sure it was done right but one night I couldn't get in there right away and I told him to start and I went in and he had even done his hair! He was in there playing waiting for me to come in to do the water (he doesn't do that yet- we don't want him to burn himself) and it was all done and I was so proud of him! He still needs a bit of help with his hair and rinsing fully, but I'm sure in another 2 weeks he'll be good! yay!
    Anonymous

• If you notice that his hair is the only "problem" then you could wash and rinse it in the sink (while he is clothed) and then let him take his bath. That way the "rinsing" is done right, and he has the privacy of washing himself.
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 6:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008