How to get a mildew stain out WITHOUT bleach?

Any ideas how to get rid of a mildew stain WITHOUT bleach? I can't use bleach on the item I need the stain removed. I know NOT to dry it until I have the stain out or it will be set in.

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• you could try vinegar soak, you could also try hydrogen peroxide with a baking soda paste... mix a bit of the 2 together, let it set, and it should lift it up... or just bakingsoda and water.... but i do know that hydrogen peroxide and baking soda work pretty darn good. just try it first on an inconspicuous area of the fabric.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 4:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Try soaking it in vinegar for an hour or so before washing in cool water. The vinegar will loosen the bonds between the mildew and the fabric, and *hopefully* it will wash out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Ajax or comet mixed with water and applied. Not sure what you are trying to remove stain from, but alot of times this will pull stains...
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• oops.... I should have said it's a article of clothing.
    SAHMinIL2

Comment by SAHMinIL2 (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• soft scrub works wonders
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I use non-toxic products from Melaleuca - I live in Florida - very humid! I have had great success in getting rid of mildew and mold with no bleach.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2011