Thinking of starting an errand service

how much do you think to charge to go shopping or run errands for people ? i am trying to figure out ways to make money while staynig home with my LO.

whats your opinion

jenn660

Asked by jenn660 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• 5% plus gas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I did that for one lady I cleaned houses for. I drove her around and helped her do her grocery shopping. I charged per hour ($12), but that was several years ago and in a small town where that was the going rate for housekeeping services.

I think a better option would be babysitting. It's easier to take care of your LO when you're in your own home versus out running errands for people. That's what I do now. I get my clients from Craigslist, and I've had pretty good luck with it. Try that, either way :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I have looked into this type of business and read several books on it. It all depends on your area and your experience, so it can be anywhere from $15-$65 an hour. However, most of what I have researched has been between $15-$30 an hour. Some also charge mileage after 10 miles from starting the errand, others have a flat rate delivery fee. I would google errand services and study what other businesses are doing, what they charge, etc as well as go to your library and check out books on errand and concierge services.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:16 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Well I would charge per run plus gas. So say you run out to grab groceries from some place you charge for the gas to & from, then they of course pay you for the groceries then I'd chargre a steady rate of $25 or more (no clue how much to charge) per run. That way your making a good amount bc if you do it by hour it could cause problems. Your run could be quick & short or take extra long due to lines or something. Its not fair that you dont get paid a decent amount & its nto fair that the client pays for long lines you know.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Be sure to check out your competition in the area ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• You need to live in a area where there are enough affluent people who can afford this type of service. You need great sales skills. You need time to get out in the community to build relationships, and build up your professional network.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely?
    You can search for jobs that match you skill set and have a telecommute option.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization (along with small business marketing and medical billing), I also do career and job search coaching.