What is a decent living for a family of 8?

I'm just wondering how much it would take to take care of a large family, nothing extravagant but enough to live comfortably.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm a family of 3 and $75,000 is pretty rough! We're really struggling. It would really depend on debt, the amount or your mortgage, how many cars -- new or used -- school loans and so many other things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It would depend on what part of the country your in. The cost of living is very diff. in Michigan then it is in say California. It would also depend on your lifestyle, your housing choices etc.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Wow your a family of 3 and struggling on THAT? 75,000?
    What did you spend your dang money on?
    Were a family of 3 and our income was 11,000 last year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I mean with no debt and living in WV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• We're a family of five and DH and I earn about 60K a year. We have a mortgage, two car loans, my school loans, and utilities for a five bedroom house (we got a really good deal when we bought it, nobody wanted it because it was a century home w/ hardwood floors - go figure, these houses go on TLC for like 150K and up and we paid 78). we are comfortable in that we have enough to feed the kids but we get their clothes at discount stores like Gabriel brothers and we do our christmas shopping at Big Lots. It can be done! Oh yea, and grocery shop at Aldi's or Save a Lot, but we get our meat from a butcher in bulk - alot cheaper and A WHOLE LOT better than Aldi's.
    So unless you're a Giant Eagle addict who must have brand new latest everything for your kids, I'd say 40K would be enough for three to live on comfortably.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• oops, sorry, missed part of the question - for a family of 8 I'd say probably 80K would work. Depends on the ages of your kids, though. Babies are alot more expensive! lol
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I agree, a family of 3 struggling on $75,000 is hard to believe. We're a family of five and have survived on 12,000 a year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• we were a family of 7 living in california--we were not making it on 100k.

i think in wv you could do ok on 65k living modestly... if you want to be well off in good schools, better side of town, expensive clothes etc... i'd say at least 80k if not more in wv
    mommyinca

Answer by mommyinca at 10:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Well we are a family of five and we just make it on 70k. Mortgage, taxes, school, two vehicles, utilities and your everyday needs.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It depends on where you live and your lifestyle. I can't imagine a family of 3 struggling on 75K. Just wow. THAT is an example of someone living above their means. We are a family of five and we live on about $15K a year, but it's really hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008