A girl rang our door bell at 4:30am?!

So, EARLY this AM, around 4:30 our door bell rang. It kept ringing. I looked at the window, and there was a girl about 5''3.. standing there. I opened the window and said "what the heck?". She said "I need to use your phone for my friend". She was all dressed up with make up on. I said "NO WAY!. I am going to call the police if you don't leave...now". I closed the window and by the time I had looked out the window again, she had already made her way to the end of the driveway. About 10 sec later a car pulled up...she talked to them for about 10 sec and they drove off. Let me say my home is NOTHING special. We don't have a huge, nice home that would make people think we have money... b/c we really have VERY little. I am still scared...any advice?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I think I would have told her hold on - what number do you need called and I'll call them for you. Then, I would have called the police first then the number they needed called second.

That way, if it was some poor girl in distress, then she has help from the people who are best in a position to help her (the police), and, if she's up to no good, staking your house out, then you're getting help from the same people - the police. Also, it would show that your house isn't "an easy target".
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I don't blame you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• wow! thats scary. I would report that. Did you get a good descript of the girl/car? Incase they repeat offenders.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Are you sure she was not having an emergency? It could have been something serious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If she was having an emergency, she should have gone to a public place, like a gas station or something. On the other hand if she was having an emergency, What the heck was she thinking ringing the doorbell of a complete stranger? How did she know you weren't some crazy person that was going to hurt her? (not saying you are). I think you did the right thing.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Well, in an emergency, you're not going to care if it's a stranger's house or not ---- if you need help, you need help. If I get raped & dumped in an unfamiliar place, I'm not going to wander around looking for a McDonald's to ask for help --- if I'm on a cul-de-sac, someone's getting their doorbell rang at 4am. It's sad that this world has come to this --- can't trust anyone.

From the girl's perspective (assuming she really was looking for help)... her friend could've been getting the crap beat out of her or raped or having a seizure or something... and the people she's begging for help are telling her they're calling the cops on her.

From the home owner's perspective.... that's just how they get access to your house these days -- playing the victim.

If it'd been me, I'd have asked what the problem was & offered to call whoever it was she needed to contact for her.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Okay if any of this was happening then why was that car driving up? Honestly it didn't sound like an emergency. If she was having an emergency she would have been frantic about it and been like "My friend just got hurt blah blah blah...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would have told her to hold on that you will call the cops for her. Anyone with common sense should know not to let anyone in your home to use the phone, you call for them. I don't blame you for what you did but I would have called the police.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• This reminds me of the movie Strangers. It was super scary. That would freak me out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You did the right thing. I would feel more comfortable about it and report the incident to the police. Around this time of the year, and with the economy being the way it is, peole will do anything to get what they need.

The police had said even if we see a woman standing on the side of the road, with a flat tire, with children with her, not to stop.....pull away from the car, and contact them and stay with in distance to see her until they arrive.

They said people will use women and children to commit crimes and since we see them as the most vulnerable, we are quick to assist.

Try reporting it to the police to see if they have any other incidents like this and it can be reported to the local newspaper (hopefully) so that others in your area are aware of something like this.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008