How do I care for curly hair?

My older DD, sisters, and I all have fine straight hair. My younger daughter (3)has fine curly hair. As it has gotten longer (still barely shoulder length), I've discovered that I have no idea how to keep it looking nice. It matts horribly in the back at night. When I remove the tangles, it brushes out all the pretty curls. It looks great after it's washed and air dried, but I don't want to wash it too much (it's neither oily nor dry). What do I need to do?

cedailey

Asked by cedailey at 10:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Don't wash her hair too often - no more than twice a week. Even better, don't use shampoo on her hair at all. Shampoo strips every last bit of natural oil out of the hair. Instead, wet her hair thoroughly every day and "brush" with two wash clothes, at least 100 strokes. I know it's an unorthodox method but it's worked on lots of curly heads over the centuries.

I would let it air dry every day. She can help avoid tangles by putting her hair in a ponytail or braid before bed and/or using a satin pillowcase

Use a pick to untangle her hair in the mornings. Combs and brushes, as you've discovered, strip out the curls. A pick will detangle without destroying the curls. A pick will also help prevent her hair from going frizzy, since it helps keep the curls together.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i've had fine curly hair all my life...i let it dry naturally b/c if i comb it out my hair turns into friz..i condition it everyday ...what you're doing seems right. you can dampen it with a spray bottle every day so it looks curly and fresh, and wash it every 2 or 3 days..use conditioner.
    rOEY802

Answer by rOEY802 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Use anti-Frizz Capsules. Only $2.99 at www.youravon.com/dustydunn. Give it a try!! You get 18 capsules!
    DustyD.

Answer by DustyD. at 9:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008