what can i do

my dd is three and im having such hard time teaching her. i have no patients at all and i still try to make it fun and its like teaching a brick wall. she is not interested in learning and i wonder if its my fault because when she says her abc or numbers wrong i get mad because we went over it a thousand time before . what can i do to make teaching her more fun without losing my sanity

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you looked into putting her in a preschool? Preschool is maybe two or three days a week and only a couple of hours depending on where you live. I think there are some web sites that can help you too.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• nikelodeon, or a childrens chanel has good shows blues clues, things like that. She is only three, still very young mommy, give her time. Alarice alarice@peoplepc.com
    Alarice

Answer by Alarice at 11:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You need to stop trying to teach her and instead you need to start enjoying her.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• She will get the hang of things when she is ready too! Right now she sounds like a typical 3 year old! I have a 3 year old myself and she is very difficult to teach! I just gave up on it.. and we just count when we go up and down the stairs and I sing her the ABC's while brushing hair/teeth everyday! I can deffinately say that it works! She can sing her ABC's and count to 10!! Good luck~
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Take her online to www.starfall.com. It's fun and educational. My 3 year old goes there by himself, supervised by me of course, but he controls the mouse.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• learning is done best through fun! I am a homeschooling mom & I understand sometimes we want so much for our children, but too much pressure can turn them off for sure... And playing is the best way for any kid to learn...I was going to suggest starfall.com also as well as doing some searches for "free online educational games preschool" and a whole bunch of fun online things will come up.. we also do alot of print out activities and enjoy educational TV and games and books.. and don't sweat it... enjoy your time with her.. She will grow up so fast.
    YasminBoheme

Answer by YasminBoheme at 8:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Don't teach her right now. She's too young to have more than a 5 minute attention span! Work with her but don't TEACH her. Don't make it a normal sit down day at school. Try getting out the playdoh and having her use it to make letters. You can also use a pan of rice and write the letters in the rice and then flatten it out and use it again. If you are brave and you don't think it will start a bad habit, you could use dry erase markers on your windows or mirrors. Play lots of games like chutes and ladders, candy land, and teach as you go! But don't expect her to listen and sit for more than 5 minutes! it probably won't happen! Don't get mad. Just relearn it. She's only 3. Let her play teacher and you get it wrong and see if she will correct you. With lil ones, they learn by repitition. Don't give up, she'll get it!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I make ABC cookies and 123 cookies. I also buy educational videos everytime I can. Wal-mart usually has educational videos for $1 to $10. I also use educational cd's with songs and the kids seem to pick it up wonderfully. This makes it fun and takes some of the stress off you.
    MamaFlanigan

Answer by MamaFlanigan at 3:32 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My son got a HUGE interest in letters once he started PreK. Now he is always looking at letters on signs. One thing that almost all my friends with kids have is the leap frog letter magnets that tell what sound each letter makes. My son loves those!
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The best way to teach kids is with other kids. If there is a preschool program or play group where they can do fun learning activities together, that may be more productive for her and less stressful for you. Also, make numbers and letters a part of her landscape so that she is absorbing the info without sitting down and being taught on it every day. By that I mean showing videos that incorporate letter and number learning; putting numbers and letters up around the house; putting together number/letter puzzles; and using number/letter coloring books in lieu of regular coloring books. The exposure will go a long way without being tedious or irritating for the two of you.
    B.Wright

Answer by B.Wright at 12:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2008